Letter from the Editor: Sports

Rodrigo Hernandez

Dear Sundial readers,

This fourth issue of the Sundial’s magazine has stories connected to sports. With the middle of the semester coming around, it can be hard to keep up with studies and taking care of oneself. Everyone can relate to a sport in some way. Either your parents made you join a sport when you were younger, you watch sports or you compete in fantasy sports with friends. Sports have brought people together in tough times and good times. They serve as a common ground for people to come together, watch a game and have a moment of bliss.

To me, watching or playing sports is an outlet to help relieve stress. There was no better feeling than having a community of people around you to share wins and losses. Knowing I had a whole group of other women with me who were going through the same emotions I was, and moving towards the same goal, made me feel like a part of something bigger. Playing sports growing up taught me a lot of skills that I still use today. Teamwork, leadership, discipline and determination are the few that stand out above the rest.

Most athletes will use these skills to be leaders in their communities. They are some of the most influential people we admire every day. We look up to them for health advice, physical training, advocacy, or making our team win the title.

The following stories address our local athletes, national teams closing the gap between men and women, and how students are incorporating themselves into their sports.

I hope these stories bring you a moment of bliss in between studying, make you feel connected to the campus, and offer a new community you may be interested in supporting or joining.