My Experience as a Starbucks Barista

Sansert – stock.adobe.com
Adobe stock image.

I never intended to work at Starbucks. I knew about the hectic work environment. I heard about baristas moving back and forth with 20 different drinks lined up. It looked stressful.

Fast forward to spring of 2021. I was fresh out of a job, and searching for another. Borderline hopeless, I applied to a local Starbucks not thinking I would get hired, but to my surprise, I was hired and have been a partner ever since.
The first few training weeks were overwhelming. I was with my trainer for two weeks simply learning the basics (the register and making drinks). It was hard to remember everything and even harder to do it on my own.

At times, my nervousness got the best of me. It was quite cinematic, coming-of-age. Coffee shop girl spills coffee, and in the process she discovers something about herself. The only thing I discovered was that I needed help, which was impossible to ask for when I got shifts during busy hours.

It took practice and dedication to perfect my craft. Even so, I still mess up two years later. I am human after all. However, this company requires us to continue to grow. It would be nice if my pay could do the same.

My starting pay was $15 per hour, now it’s $17 per hour. For me, minimum wage is dependent on the company itself. Starbucks is worth billions of dollars. A starting pay of $15 says a lot about where their priorities lie. It’s especially hard now when I can no longer buy enough groceries with $100.

Now, there are a few perks for working there. Starbucks provides its partners with 401(k)s, Spotify Premium, Headspace, Lyra, and health insurance (if you qualify for it). This is all good, but Starbucks needs to change some of its policies. There is a minimum of hours one must work to qualify for their health insurance program.

Considering that many stores in the San Fernando Valley have been going through labor cuts, this policy is leaving people without health insurance. I know a few coworkers who are on the verge of losing it.

At the end of it all, I find myself wondering why I am still there. The answer, for one, is that Starbucks is flexible with my schedule. I am a full-time student navigating outside responsibilities. My current schedule allows me to pick up my younger brother from school.

The rest of my day consists of running errands or going to the gym. Having time for myself is something I highly value. Most office jobs require a nine to five work schedule. I can’t do that right now. I’ll just stick with what I have.