CSUN’s climate communities: Sustainability Center and Environmental Club

With climate change and global warming on the rise, California State University, Northridge, students can turn to the Sustainability Center to find a community of like-minded individuals working together to improve the environment.

CSUN Sustainability Center

CSUN’s Sustainability Center (William Espinosa)

Located between the housing shuttle point next to the Premier America Credit Union Arena, formerly known as the Matadome, and the University Student Union, the Sustainability Center is home to the Productions Department as well as the Associated Students Sustainability Department, which oversees the Institute of Sustainability and the G.A.R.D.E.N.

Founded in 2008, the Institute for Sustainability aims to provide all students with opportunities in sustainability-related programs in community organizations. The G.A.R.D.E.N., which stands for growing, accessible resources, diversity, education, and nourishment, is a half-acre community space where students and volunteers can gather and practice everything they have learned about caring for the environment. The Associated Students Sustainability Team hosts events throughout the year to encourage students to learn about environmentally friendly practices.

Held on Clean Air Day, the Refill and Repair Clinics motivate students to bring in damaged clothing to get repaired and learn how to do it at home. Students are also welcome to bring empty containers filled with shampoo, conditioner, or soap.

In honor of America Recycles Day, the Sustainability Center provides a thorough guide on properly disposing of waste and where to donate and recycle. Another informative event is the Sustainable Fashion Expo, which promotes sustainable fashion over fast fashion to combat global warming.

“Each of these events has a specific focus regarding sustainability, but all of them spread awareness about sustainability-related issues, as well as provide resources for students to adopt sustainable practices into their daily lives,” said Kaley Tooch, the sustainability coordinator at the Sustainability Center.

Local organizations can also be found tabling at the events, providing helpful information to students, and showcasing their work in hopes of building a stronger relationship.

“The Sustainability Center’s mission is to provide a space on campus dedicated to sustainability and a space where students can learn more about sustainability and get involved,” said Tooch.

CSUN Environmental Club

(Trisha Anas)

Another way for students to explore the concept of sustainability is through the CSUN Environmental Club. Born to bridge the gap between the student body and the Sustainability Department, the Environmental Club is the first student-led sustainability organization at CSUN.

Officially established last fall, the club aimed to inform students about the number of events held by the Sustainability Center but later began to hold its separate events, thus forming its very own community.

The club meets every other Thursday at the Sustainability Center. Members participate in workshops led by guest speakers, professors from the sustainability department, and external organizations. Their most recent speaker was a member of the Ballona Wetlands Reserve, who educated them on the importance of restoring the wetlands around Marina del Rey.

Nelofer Siddiqui, a fourth-year communications student and communications chair for the CSUN Environmental Club, recounts her experience with utter joy as she professes to have found a community of people who, like her, are passionate about the environment, shortly after having transferred to CSUN.

“Everyone in the club seemed very passionate about the environment and the outdoors, and I loved that,” said Siddiqui. “I always wanted to do something regarding social change and making the world a better place, but I really didn’t know where to get started, and the environmental club gave me an opportunity to make my own small difference.”

Apart from their general meetings, the club hosts several events, including hikes, beach cleanups, and other activities in collaboration with the Compost Garden and Orange Grove.

“We’re a space for any students who want to learn more about the environment and get more involved in making the environment around us a better place,” said Siddiqui.

The Sustainability Center and CSUN Environmental Club can be found on Instagram at @csunas_sustainability and @csun.enviro, respectively.