Women’s volleyball coach John Price announces retirement

File photo. CSUN head coach John Price concentrates on set three of the game against UC Davis on Friday, Oct. 14, 2022, at the Premier America Credit Union Arena in Northridge, Calif. (Efrain Ballon)

CSUN Women’s Volleyball Director John Price has announced his retirement after 20 seasons with the Matadors.

Price, who graduated from CSUN in 1983, spent nearly 35 seasons as a collegiate volleyball coach. Price was first named an assistant coach for the CSUN men’s volleyball team in 1985. A few seasons later, Price became the head coach of the team, a role he held from 1986 to 1997. In his time as head coach, he led the Matadors to a berth in the 1993 NCAA Men’s Volleyball Championship and accumulated an overall record of 194-158 in 12 seasons.

Price would go on to leave Northridge in 1997 to manage the Roadrunners and would spend the next 14 seasons as the head coach of the women’s volleyball team at Cal State Bakersfield. Price returned to the valley in 2012 as an assistant coach for the CSUN women’s volleyball team and served under that role until 2015 as part of Director Jeff Stork’s staff.

Price then coached club volleyball, and made his return to the CSUN indoor women’s volleyball program just a few years later in 2021, where he served as an assistant coach under interim head coach Susie Terrusa. The following year, Price was named the Director of Women’s Volleyball and oversaw both the indoor and beach volleyball programs. The veteran coach finished his extensive career following the 2023 season.