Letter from the Editor: Earthquake Anniversary

Dear Sundial readers,

The first issue of the magazine for spring semester falls on the 30-year anniversary of the 1994 Northridge earthquake. With every building on campus damaged, the earthquake and its effects are integral to the identity of California State University, Northridge. In this issue, we highlight the diverse group of people who rebuilt and recovered our San Fernando Valley home, from faculty to alumni.

While 30 years is a long time, the impact of the earthquake reverberates across campus. A parking structure collapsed in on itself, wings of the University Library were severely damaged and the former Fine Arts building was destroyed. Through tireless work from many people, spring classes started only two weeks past schedule, four weeks after the earthquake. With the Lindley Library Dome and other temporary buildings, students studied amidst ongoing construction.

Manzanita Hall, the home of the Sundial newsroom, was built to replace the Fine Arts building and opened in 2003. Other buildings were repaired and rebuilt over time under strict earthquake safety regulations. We are currently seeing the introduction of multiple buildings across campus, including Maple Hall, which was covered in the first issue of the magazine in the fall semester. Our ever-evolving campus grows to fit the needs of students while remaining safe and sustainable.

This month, we remember the earthquake and the people who made the past 30 years a reality.

Thank you,

Sasha Alikhanov