How to Be Ready to Rumble

Earthquakes can happen anywhere, at any place and time, so many people in Southern California keep go-bags with safety essentials. California State University, Northridge, has protocols and emergency systems in place, which can be found on the Emergency Management and Preparedness site.

Some items in a go-bag include a flashlight, batteries, water, a first-aid kit, a whistle, and non-perishable food. Emergency survival backpacks on the market come with all the items you would need, and they are available at stores like Walmart and Amazon. 

To stay safe during an earthquake, it is essential to remain calm. Dropping to the ground is the first step when one feels the ground shake. The second step is to cover the neck and head by crawling under something sturdy. The third step is to hold the position until the shaking stops. It is advised to avoid large objects that are likely to fall and windows. If someone is outside, they should find a secluded area and avoid trees, light poles, and tall buildings. Should someone be in a car, they should stop driving and put the car in park. 

University protocols are implemented in case of an emergency to ensure campus safety, including following staff directions, evaluating the surroundings, and evacuating when needed. Students are not to use elevators during emergencies and should opt for stairs, according to the CSUN Emergency Management and Preparedness website.

CSUN’s Campus Emergency Operations Center coordinates resources and personnel to handle an emergency effectively. The center can be found on the second floor of the Department of Police Services and students can go to it with any emergency-related concerns.

Knowing what to do in an emergency is vital to staying safe, as informed actions are faster than uninformed actions. With easy access to evacuation maps, students can learn exit routes and assembly points. Faculty, staff and students have different responsibilities to keep each other safe. CSUN sends email updates in emergencies; information is also available on its website and social media.