2 Ways Educators Can Foster International Compliance Awareness

Branded Content by Cosmic Press

Image Source: Pexels

International compliance needs to be taken seriously, and yet it’s something that we only tend to encounter long after our formal education has come to an end. 

As such it’s a good idea for teachers to be more proactive in equipping the next generation with this knowledge, rather than leaving them to acquire it later on in life.

Of course regulations are inevitably dry, and so it’s necessary to introduce innovative teaching strategies to bring them to life. 

Here are just a few options to consider.

Leveraging Industry Expertise

When students can listen to the stories of those who navigate international compliance on a daily basis, the learning experience takes on a new dimension. Bringing in guest lecturers from fields laden with regulatory frameworks like defense, aerospace, or international trade can provide invaluable insights. 

Here’s how to maximize their impact:

• Real-World Perspectives: Students hear first-hand how professionals operate within and adapt to changing global regulations.
  • Interactive Q&A Sessions: A direct line of questioning allows learners to explore scenarios and consequences in depth.
  • Networking Opportunities: These sessions often lead to internships or mentorship possibilities, anchoring academic concepts in real-world practice.

Another bonus is that engagement will increase, as 86% of students appreciate having access to industry experts in the classroom. This heightened attention means more eyes and ears keenly tuned when a compliance officer unravels the complexities of something as stringent as ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations).

To maximally benefit from these lectures:

• Prepare students ahead of time with background knowledge so they grasp the content better.
  • During discussions on export controls and restrictions, students can follow along with an ITAR compliance checklist. This aids in differentiating between abstract regulation texts and applied compliance practices.
  • Encourage them to reflect post-session via written assignments or group debates that synthesize what they’ve learned.

The Power of Play in Compliance Education

Transforming the esoteric world of international compliance into a compelling learning experience is easier with simulation games involved, as they further enable students to engage with complex regulations through the lens of play. 

Here are some of the advantages:

• Hands-On Learning: Students tackle real-life scenarios and navigate compliance decisions within a controlled, risk-free environment.
  • Team Collaboration: These exercises foster teamwork as students must communicate and strategize effectively to succeed.
  • Immediate Feedback: Simulated outcomes allow learners to see the consequences of their actions promptly, reinforcing lessons learned.

A study of the influence of simulation-based training in a healthcare context found that knowledge and skill retention was higher when using this method as opposed to more traditional alternatives. This underscores how interactive and experiential learning can cement knowledge more consistently than lectures alone.

To incorporate simulation games effectively:

• Choose or design simulations that mimic actual international trade situations involving export controls and technology transfer restrictions.
  • Ensure that each student role aligns with specific compliance requirements – for example, one student acts as a customs official while another negotiates export terms.
  • Debrief after each session so students can reflect on their choices and understand better why certain actions comply or breach regulations. Also encourage efficient note-taking among players, so what they’ve learned doesn’t just evaporate afterwards.

The Last Word

As well as following these strategies to raise awareness of international compliance in students, educators should also consider the impact of their endeavors, and get feedback after each lecture and play session to see how participants are responding. 

This will allow you to iron out issues and make improvements, or perhaps even come up with your own bespoke ways of getting crucial points across. Regardless of the outcome, taking action to center the subject of compliance early on is definitely worthwhile.

Branded content furnished by our promotional partners. The Daily Sundial editorial staff is not involved in its production. Content does not reflect the views or opinions of the editorial staff.