Matador Marquee: Films about mental health and university life

College is a place that can be full of triumph, but also adversity. Challenges can vary from other students, bullying, academics or lack of accommodations. Due to this, many students in college have issues with their mental health. When this happens, it helps to curl up and watch a film that can show you that you are not alone and that your struggles are valid.

“Autism Goes to College” is a 2019 documentary that follows five students on the autism spectrum as they traverse the precarious but fulfilling stage of college life. Through this, many experiences are shown as the subjects are interviewed about how the changes from high school to college affect them mentally and how they are making it through. The film was featured in the Newport Beach Film Festival and 2020 SXSWEdu Festival and won the prestigious Gold Anthem Award in Awareness and Media Category (Non-Profit). The five students’ journeys show how people with disabilities can achieve higher education. Their unique stories offer new perspectives to some and relatability to others. An upcoming virtual event for the film will be held Wednesday, April 10 at 5 p.m. with a panel after the film.

“The Hunting Ground” is a 2015 documentary dealing with the topic of violent sexual assaults on college campuses and their far-reaching effects, including the emotional tolls they take on the victims and their families. This documentary pulls no punches, as it is raw, emotional and exposes how sometimes justice is not done. Its poignant tone reminds viewers of the dangers on campus, while encouraging people to raise awareness strongly and passionately.

“Whiplash” is a 2014 film directed by Damien Chazelle about a prospective drummer, played by Miles Teller, who deals with an abusive music teacher, played by J.K. Simmons, who pushes him to the brink of insanity. This film received multiple Academy Awards, including Best Supporting Actor for Simmons, Best Film Editing and Best Sound Mixing. This film is important due to showing the pitfalls of perfection and that one must prioritize their mental health over their art or schooling.

“Autism the Sequel” is a 2020 documentary follow-up to 2007’s “Autism the Musical,” where a group of children with autism write and perform an original theater production. Thirteen years later, the filmmakers catch up with the children and their families in order to see the strides they made and how they have changed. One of the people highlighted is in college who shares their perspective on higher education and individual living.

“Monsters University” is a 2013 animated film from Pixar that is a prequel to 2001’s “Monsters, Inc.” This movie follows the journey of Mike Wazowski, a young student who goes to the titular university to learn how to become a scarer. Through this, he learns about how to pave his own path to reach dreams others deem unrealistic. An uplifting message for all, but especially for college students trying to find their way.