5+ Effective Fitness Routines for Busy College Students

Branded Content by Cosmic Press

Image: Freepik 

Staying active and keeping fit is crucial, especially for college students juggling the stress of exams and striving to safeguard their mental health. Yet, trying to stay fit when you have a limited budget and a packed schedule is all but easy! 

Fortunately, there are some activities and options that allow you to improve your social life while also improving your level of fitness. Plus, these options won’t burn a hole in your pocket! Each of the fitness strategies below is designed to fit around your studies without breaking the bank, ensuring your physical well-being doesn’t take a backseat while you work towards that degree!

Join a Team and Take Advantage of Scholarship Programs

For students blessed with athletic prowess, joining a college sports team is a triple win – you get to stay in shape, potentially land a scholarship, and lay the groundwork for a career in athletics – all while pursuing your education!

This may seem out of reach for many, but don’t forget that schools are still looking for talents and, impressively, over 180,000 students reap the benefits of an athletic scholarship every year! Not only does this alleviate some of the financial burdens of college, but it also fosters discipline, teamwork, and resilience – traits invaluable both on and off the field. 

Set Up a Home Gym in Shared Spaces

Creating a gym in your shared apartment or student accommodation can make daily exercise convenient, accessible, and, yes, even a desirable alternative to watching TV! Having ready-to-use and free gym equipment so close to you means access to a workout at any hour, fitting effortlessly around your study timetable. 

Here’s a quick rundown of essential gear:

• Resistance bands
  • Adjustable dumbbells
  • Yoga mat
  • Jump rope
  • Kettlebell
  • Stability-ball

Your mini home gym setup doesn’t have to break the bank! Besides student discounts you can enjoy on these items, you can also tap into certain HSA/FSA reimbursement options, which are available for purchasing fitness equipment. 

Choose Active Hobbies

Transforming your leisure time into active time is simpler than you might think. It’s all about selecting the right hobbies that incorporate movement, as well as fun! A great way to stary is by replacing stationary activities with dynamic ones.

For example, you could take up hiking to complement your knitting sessions – or you could consider switching to listening to audiobooks while strolling instead of reading a book while sitting down. 

Initially, ramping up physical activity when you have a busy schedule might seem daunting. However, research consistently highlights the beneficial effects of physical activity on mood and self-esteem, not to mention its power to slash stress levels. As a busy student, these are benefits you really should not miss out on!

Join Fitness-Focused Groups and Clubs

Attaining optimal health should be accessible to everyone, regardless of individual challenges. And, finding the right group, club, or buddy to lean on can help you overcome these challenges. 

Whether it’s managing disabilities or dealing with geographic isolation, there’s a fitness community out there for you. These communities offer the support and adaptability to accommodate your needs, ensuring everyone can find an enjoyable way to stay active. 

Opting for Short, High-Intensity Workouts

Short, high-intensity workouts can transform the way busy college students approach fitness. These sessions, usually 30 minutes or less, offer a mix of efficiency and efficacy, targeting major muscle groups and boosting cardiovascular health without the need for lengthy gym sessions. 

Here are some options to consider:

• Tabata Training: Involves intense 20-second intervals followed by 10 seconds of rest, cycled for 4 minutes.
  • AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible): Practice by picking a few exercises and complete as many rounds in a set time.
  • High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): Involves alternating short bursts of intense activity with recovery periods.
  • Circuit Training: Rotate through a series of exercises with minimal rest.

Alongside these strategies, be sure to also incorporate active breaks when studying. Walking up and down the stairs, stretching, or meditating when taking breaks from the books can help you feel and look your best. 

Work With a Personal Trainer

Engaging with a personal trainer, even if digitally, can help you benefit from professional oversight. PTs are capable of creating an exercise routine around your unique needs, which can help you stick to it for longer, safeguard your health, and achieve your goals. As a student, this may be the best investment on your health you could make!

Branded content furnished by our promotional partners. The Daily Sundial editorial staff is not involved in its production. Content does not reflect the views or opinions of the editorial staff.