Understanding Behavioral Interviews: A Crucial Skill for Upcoming Graduates

Image Source: Pexels

If you’ve ever sat through an interview and had the interviewer more interested in hearing about a specific time you handled a difficult situation than in your education and skills, congrats – you’ve experienced a behavioral interview.

Unlike traditional interviews, which are focused on your background information, behavioral interviews focus on your past experiences in order to predict your future behavior in a professional setting. If you’re an upcoming graduate, it behooves you to understand exactly what you can expect from these interviews so you can prepare and ace them.

What Are Behavioral Interviews and Why Are They Important?

The theory behind behavioral interviews is simple: past behavior is the best predictor of future performance. That’s why these interviews are designed to uncover how you’ve handled various work situations in the past, but also to help interviewers understand your skills and abilities.

For recent graduates, nailing the behavioral interview can make the difference between landing a job or not. After all, most employers aren’t just interested in your academic achievements; they also want to see how you apply your knowledge in real-world situations.

Preparing for a Behavioral Interview

One of the best ways to prepare for a behavioral interview is by using the STAR method, which stands for Situation, Task, Action, and Result. It’s a structured way to respond to questions that can help you provide clear and comprehensive answers while demonstrating your experience.

Situation

Start by describing the context within which you performed a task or faced a challenge. Be specific here by mentioning when and where this situation took place.

Example: “During my final year project at university, our team had to develop a new software tool for managing campus events.”

Task

Next, explain the task you were responsible for in that situation. What was your role? What were you aiming to achieve?

Example: “I was tasked with leading the development team, ensuring we met deadlines and maintained high-quality standards.”

Action

Then, describe the actions you took to address the task. Focus on what you did, why you did it, and how you did it. This is where you can showcase your problem-solving and decision-making skills.

Example: “I organized weekly meetings to track progress and assigned specific tasks based on each team member’s strengths.”

Result

Finally, share the results of your actions. If possible, quantify your achievements and explain the impact of your work.

Example: “As a result, we delivered the software tool two weeks ahead of schedule, which was successfully adopted by the university and reduced event management time by 20%.”

Additional Preparation Strategies

• Research Common Questions: Look up typical behavioral interview questions for your industry. This gives you an idea of what to expect and helps you prepare relevant stories.
  • Know the Job Description: Understand the key competencies the employer is looking for. Then, match your experiences with these competencies in your STAR stories.
  • Mock Interviews: Practice with a friend or use online platforms to simulate the interview experience. The more you practice, the more comfortable you’ll become.

Remember, the goal is to show how your past experiences have equipped you with the skills and knowledge to excel in the job you’re aiming for, so take your time when preparing for your next behavioral interview – if you ace it, it can significantly boost your chances of landing your dream job.