Motorcycle Accident: The Problems a Person with Broken Bones Will Face

Branded Content by Cosmic Press

Image source

Motorcycling is an exciting mode of transport; however, it can get pretty dangerous. When accidents happen, they often result in serious injuries, including fractures. These injuries will impact the daily life of a person, from routine activities to long-term health.

After being involved in a motorcycle accident, victims often face a long and challenging process of recovery. In this article, we’ll discuss various challenges that people with broken bones might have after a motorcycle accident.

Immediate Medical Challenges

The first challenge that a person with broken bones faces is the initial medical treatment. This normally involves emergency rooms, X-ray processes, and, in some cases, surgery. 

The doctor might have to reposition the bones or even use metal plates, screws, or rods to hold them in place, depending on the extent and location of the break. This can be painful and frightening for the patient.

Pain Management

Pain is very uncomfortable, and for those who experience an accident, this discomfort becomes a daily experience. Doctors often prescribe strong painkillers to alleviate this pain. Most of these painkillers have side effects such as drowsiness or nausea.

Both pain alleviation and alertness have to be balanced carefully. This balance may require revisiting healthcare professionals frequently.

Limited Mobility and Independence

The loss of independence is one of the most frustrating problems for a person with broken bones. Getting dressed, preparing meals, and even going to the bathroom become challenging. One may have to resort to crutches, wheelchairs, or other appliances to move around if one or more bones are broken.

Such a loss of independence can be emotionally draining, both for the victim and the person(s) taking care of the victim.

Sleep Disturbances

It becomes very difficult to get a good night’s sleep when one has broken bones. Due to pressure on the injured area, victims find it hard to find a comfortable position that doesn’t hurt.

The pain might force some victims to wake up in the middle of the night. The victim may not get enough sleep, and this, in turn, affects your healing process. Your well-being will be affected too.

Work and Financial Stress

A lot of people who experience broken bones cannot work for an extended period of time. Sometimes, this is financially devastating, particularly if the person does not have enough sick leaves or disability insurance.

Medical bills can pile up. The psychological strain of the loss of income may hamper recovery and add to the physical pain.

Long-term Health Concerns

The effects of a fracture may still be experienced even when the condition finally heals. Some of these include the development of chronic pain or stiffness at the site of the injury.

In some accident cases, the victim may either not be able to regain full range of motion or limb strength, leading to long-term effects on their quality of life.

Emotional and Psychological Impact

The trauma of the motorcycle accident and the subsequent recovery process are emotionally draining. Suffering from anxiety, depression, or even PTSD is quite common among individuals after accidents.

Feeling frustrated, angry, or hopeless due to the long recovery time and the difficulties in handling temporary or permanent limitations is also common.

Legal and Insurance Complications

Dealing with the insurance company and a possible legal battle becomes another problem for accident victims. Negotiating for adequate compensation for the medical care, lost earnings, and pain and suffering could become difficult. 

The legal process requires comprehensive documentation and many hours of discussions or even appearances in court before they’re finally settled.

Image by rawpixel.com on Freepik

Conclusion

Recovering from a motorcycle accident involving broken bones is rarely easy. But it is important to remember that millions of people have successfully navigated this difficult path.

Family, friends, and professional counseling can greatly facilitate the healing process, both physically and emotionally. While recovering may mean the mending of bones, it can also mean rebuilding a life and learning to adapt to a new, post-accident life.

Branded content furnished by our promotional partners. The Daily Sundial editorial staff is not involved in its production. Content does not reflect the views or opinions of the editorial staff.