Men’s Basketball: Buffaloes overrun Matadors in Colorado, 92-58

Willie Galick, seen here against Drexel on Dec. 18, contributed only four points to the Matadors' 92-58 loss against Colorado Tuesday. Photo Credit: Jonathan Pobre / Executive Editor

The Cal State Northridge men’s basketball team couldn’t have ended their pre-Big West schedule any worse than the 92-58 whopping they received from the University of Colorado (7-4), Tuesday at Coors Events Center.

The 34-point rout matches head coach Bobby Braswell’s worst loss in his 14 years at CSUN (4-7).

“We just were not very competitive tonight, and it’s very rare that I say that about a Northridge basketball team,” said Braswell, whose team has lost four straight games. “We didn’t give Colorado much of a fight, it’s very disappointing.”

A 99-65 defeat at Howard on Nov. 26, 2001 was the other 34-point loss suffered by a Braswell-led Northridge team. At least in that game, the Matadors were able to put up a decent 65 points, compared to the season-low 58 points scored against the Buffaloes. CSUN also had season-lows in field goals (18) and field goal percentage (32.7 percent).

For the second consecutive game, the Matadors’ high scorer only had 13 points, which were scored by Vinnie McGhee.

The Matadors’ two top scorers, seniors Kenny Daniels and Willie Galick, only had a combined 13 points. Daniels failed to get to the free-throw line and only managed to put up eight shots from the field. The 6-foot-8 Galick had a measly four points and one rebound.

Dwight Thorne had a game-high 19 points for the Buffaloes, and Alec Burks and Cory Higgins both chipped in with 14 points each.

Colorado scored a season-high 92 points and improved their home record to 6-0. Northridge has failed to win a game on the road in five opportunities.

The Matadors need to figure out how to win on the road soon, as their Big West opener at rival Pacific approaches on Jan. 2.

Information from GoMatadors.com contributed to this report.