Sing along ‘From Under the Cork Tree’

Chicago’s indie pop-punk band Fall Out Boy has come back for a second time with “From Under the Cork Tree” on the Island Records label.

Clever lyrics and catchy titles such as “I Slept with Someone in Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About me” and “Our Lawyer Made Us Change the Name of This Song So We Wouldn’t Get Sued,” and playing off broken hearts seems to be a formula that works well for the band. It seems that Pete Wentz, the lyricist-bassist for the band, keeps on getting into relationships where he starts loving the girl and ends up hating her in the end.

Broken hearts and hatred for the girl seem to be the theme from beginning to end, such as on songs like “Sugar, We’re Goin Down,” where vocalist Patrick Stump sings, “Is this more than you bargained for yet? / Oh, don’t mind me, I’m watching you two from the closet/Wishing to be the friction in his jeans/Isn’t it messed up how I’m just dying to be him?” If it wasn’t obvious, Wentz has issues dealing with a broken heart and jealousy and hatred.

Another song, “I’ve Got a Dark Alley and a Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth (Summer Song),” Stump makes an excellent plea with Wentz’s lyrics about life and how far he’ll actually make it in life. “And I want to be known for my hits, not just my misses/ I took a shot and didn’t even come close.”

If you’re expecting new themes in Fall Out Boy’s music, you will be disappointed. They’ve found a formula that works for them. Maybe they’ll get past the broken hearts and jealousy in the future, but for now, let them keep on rocking and writing great songs. “From Under the Cork Tree” is a good sophomore release for Fall Out Boy and a great album that they should be proud of.