CSUN women’s basketball snaps six-game losing streak against Titans

Bridgette Conejo drives past a RedHawks defender in Wednesday night's loss to Seattle University. Photo Credit: Jonathan Pobre Contributing Photographer

The Cal State Northridge women’s basketball team picked up their first Big West road victory Saturday night by defeating Cal State Fullerton 72-64 at Titan Gym. The win gives the Matadors (4-18, 2-9 Big West) a season sweep over the Titans and snapped a six-game losing streak.

The Matadors came out and established a post game right from the start. Jasmine Erving led the way in scoring finishing the game with career-high 27 points and 10 rebounds.

“They did not have an answer for our inside game,” CSUN head coach Staci Schulz said.

Her inside game allowed the Matadors to shoot a season high 50 percent from the field and helped others get involved as well.

For example, other players got open looks at the basket like Anna Simmons and Analee Viena-Lota, who finished the game with 16 points and six rebounds. Simmons had a season-high eight points and six rebounds.

Also, the Matadors consistent free throw shooting and ball movement helped with the win. They shot a modest 76 percent from the charity strike by going 19-of-25 and had 17 assists on 24 field goals.
Not only did the offense show up, but the defense locked down the Titans. The Matadors held Fullerton to 36.1 percent from the field and 21.7 percent from three-point range.

Even though Northridge led the game from start to finish, the Titans did try to make a game of it towards the end. Fullerton cut the lead down to 41-39 with 12:56 seconds left to play.

But, a basket by Erving and a three-pointer from Katrina Thompson helped the Matadors extend their lead. Six minutes later, Fullerton cut the lead down to one point with senior guard Jasmine Scott leading the way, who finished the game with a team-high 23 points.

Soon after CSUN put the Titans away by going on a 13-3 run. Also, the Matadors closed out the game shooting 9-of-10 from the charity strip.

“Basketball games are won and lost at the free throw-line,” Schulz said.

So if it wasn’t for the Titans blunders against the Matadors, they would have no conference wins and a slim chance at making the Big West tournament. The victory puts them right back in the hunt for the eighth and final seed to get into the tournament. They are tied with Pacific at 2-9 and will face them on March 6, the final day of the regular season.

“It will be a battle for the last spot,” Schulz said.

Next the Matadors will hit the road to face the University of Arizona Tuesday night.