Cal Poly pounds CSUN 100-78 in Big West play

Bridgette Conejo, seen here gainst Seattle University, had two points and four rebounds in a losing effort against Cal Poly Saturday night. Photo Credit: Jonathan Pobre / Contributing Photographer

Going into Saturday night’s contest against Cal Poly, the Cal State Northridge women’s basketball team (4-20, 2-10 BWC) was giving up 72.1 points per game. The Matadors arguably had their worst defensive performance of the season after losing to the Mustangs 100-78 at Mott Gym.

The Matadors at least brought offense, with center Jasmine Erving recording a career- high 31 points.

Also, the team did a pretty good job hanging in with the Mustangs in the first half.  The score heading into intermission was 40-39, and the Matadors held the Mustangs to 37.1 percent from the field. Not only that, but Northridge shot 62.5 percent from the three-point line.

In the second half, the Matadors offense stopped scoring as they came out and shot 39.3 percent from the field. Also, the three-point line was no longer the Matadors friend as their percentage went to 12.5 percent in the second period.

Cal Poly came out and shot 78.6 percent from field and hit 6-of-7 from the 3-point line.  The Mustangs moved the ball dishing out 27 assists for the game, which helped with the 60 points in the second half.  Also, the Mustangs nailed a season best 14 three-pointers.

“Am I happy that we gave up 100 points? No I am not happy. However, it was an offensive game. When was the last time we scored 72 points,” CSUN head coach Staci Schulz said.

Not only did the Mustang team light the Northridge women’s team up, but the Matadors could not stop any of the Mustang individual players. Junior forward Kristina Santiago scored 24 points and senior forward Becky Tratter matched a career-high with 19 points.

The senior guards Brittany Lange and Ashlee Stewart put up 19 and 16 points. Lastly, Ashlee burns added 12 points.

Nevertheless, the Matadors still have something to be happy about. They are still tied with Pacific, who lost 87-77 in double overtime to Long Beach Sate Saturday night, for the eighth and final spot in the Big West Tournament.

Northridge closes out its 2009-10 home season next week with two games against UC Santa Barbara on at 7 P.M. Wednesday night and then on Saturday senior Katrina Thompson will get honored in a pre-game ceremony before their game against Pacific at 4 p.m.