CSUN cuts ties with women’s basketball head coach Staci Schulz

CSUN women's basketball head coach Staci Schulz was fired by the Athletic Department on Friday. Courtesy of CSUN Media Athletics

After another poor season, head coach Staci Schulz will not return next year, after the program decided to go in another direction on Friday. In her five seasons at CSUN, Schulz’s overall record was 36-109 (.248) and 20-46 (.303) in the Big West Conference.

“The University and I greatly appreciate the hard work and contributions that Staci (Schulz) has made during her eight seasons as both head coach and assistant coach at Cal State Northridge,” said CSUN Athletic Director Rick Mazzuto in a press release. “This is never an easy decision, but after a thorough review, it is determined the program needs to move in a different direction.”

Coach Schulz started the season hoping to build on the Matadors success in the 2009 Big West Tournament after getting an upset victory over UC Davis in the first round. They finished with a weak (8-23, 4-12 Big West) record, but managed to sneak into the tournament grabbing the eighth and final slot.

However, this season times for the Matadors only hit rock bottom, as they finished last in the Big West with a dismal 2-14 conference record. CSUN missed the conference tournament and finished with a 4-24 overall record.

The 2009-10 season wasn’t Schulz’s worst season as the CSUN head coach. In the 2007-08 season the Matadors posted a horrendous 1-26 overall record and a laughable 0-16 conference record.

This year the Matadors lost their last six games, which could have been Schulz’s last draw with Mazzuto.

“The University wanted to win basketball games. However, winning basketball games does not happen overnight,” Schulz said. “There was a good foundation with the freshman and sophomore class. But they wanted to go in another direction.”

Coach Schulz may be leaving on a bad note, but is appreciative of her time at Cal State Northridge.

“First, I want to thank the school for the opportunity to coach. Also, I enjoyed my time with the girls, and they will be fine,” Schulz said.

Furthermore, Coach Schulz may have had a weak stint with the Matadors but her resume will be hard to replace.

Before CSUN, Schulz spent four seasons with (1998-2001) at UNLV, where she spent time helping the guards and the 3-point shooters.  She also helped with recruiting and scouting players off the court.

After joining Regina Miller’s staff in 1998, the Rebels went on to post a 76-41 record in four seasons, including an NCAA Tournament berth in 2002. Schulz has stopped at other places like Western Illinois’ (1997-1998) and her alma mater, Mount Marty College (1996-1997).

At Mount Marty College, Schulz spent a year in the admissions office and helped the team with recruiting.

So, it is obvious that Schulz had the credentials to coach the Matadors but for whatever reason, she could not get the players to follow her system.