CSUN baseball: Stellar offense prevails over Albany

The Cal State Northridge baseball team concluded its non-conference schedule on Monday after cruising by the University at Albany 10-2 at Matador field.

The Matadors were led by junior infielder Justin DeMarco, who went 3-for-4 with two home runs. Also DeMarco drove in three RBI’s and junior first baseman Dominc D’Anna chipped in two RBI’s.

On the mound Alex Muren was awarded the victory and pitched three innings with no runs allowed. Albany starting pitcher Ryan White got the loss after recording seven earned runs with eight hits in five innings of work.

Albany got on the scoreboard first after Mike Tirri drove in a run in the top of first inning but in the bottom half on the first Matador C.J. Belanger picked up and RBI to tie the score at one.

Infielder Ryan Pineda gave CSUN its first lead of the game in the bottom of the third inning with a two-run homer. Soon after Marty Bowen extended the Matadors lead 4-1 with an RBI double.

In the bottom of the sixth inning the Matadors put the game out of reach with five more runs to give CSUN a 10-2 advantage.

Pineda started the sixth inning outburst with an RBI single. The next batter, D’Anna, hit a two-run double to right-center field. Later in the inning DeMarco picked up his second homerun of the day with a two-run shot to left-center field.

Next up for CSUN, they will open Big West play with a three-game series against No. 24 UC Irvine at Matador Field starting on Thursday.