CSUN baseball looks to move up in Big West standings

The Matadors come home to face the Aggies at the Matador Field in hopes to gain ground in Big West play. Photo Credit: Ryan Hecksel Staff Photographer.

With the Matadors (21-17, 3-6 Big West) currently in seventh place in the Big West standings, UC Davis may be a welcome sight for Northridge.

The Aggies (16-19, 2-7) are in last place in the Big West, and are currently on a five-game losing streak heading into their three-game series against the Matadors this weekend at Matador Field.

The Matadors are coming off back-to-back losses at Pacific. If they are able to sweep the Aggies, CSUN may be able to move up one or two spots in the conference. Also if the Matadors are able to sweep the Aggies, it will be the first three-game sweep of the season. Earlier in the year CSUN had a four-game sweep over Seattle University.

Although the Aggies went 13-42 last season, two of those wins came against the Matadors. All three games last season were decided by one run, including one game that went 10 innings.

The Matadors will be looking to post big offensive numbers against the Aggies. Before conference play began, the Matadors were making waves around the Big West because of their huge offensive outputs, but they have not maintained that pace. In their last 15 games, including conference play, the Matadors have scored a combined 66 runs. The Matadors have gone 5-10 in those games.

In their 15 games prior to conference play, the Matadors scored a combined 150 runs in those games, posting a record of 12-3.

Head coach Steve Rousey has been making changes in the lineup and has recently moved Ryan Pineda to leadoff hitter. Pineda spent most of the season as the number three hitter.

Ridge Carpenter, who spent most of the season as the leadoff hitter, has been hitting at different spots in the lineup as of late.

A recent bright spot for the Matadors this season has been the play of senior Jimmy Jolicoeur. The relief pitcher has a record of 4-0; two of those wins coming last week against Cal Poly. In the two wins, Jolicoeur pitched a combined four innings and struck out three batters.

Another highlight for the Matadors has been freshmen first baseman/outfielder Christian Allen. Allen was named Recipient of the Lyman Bostock Memorial Scholarship. Allen was chosen for the scholarship by the Matadors coaching staff. He was also drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals out of high school, but decided to go to college.

Allen has appeared in 17 games this season, and is batting .240. The Lyman Bostock Memorial Scholarship places emphasis for what students accomplish on and off the field. In 2008 current Matadors Jolicoeur and C.J. Belanger received the Scholarship.