CSUN women’s volleyball finishes second in Sacramento State Invitational

The CSUN women’s volleyball team entered the Sacramento State Invitational looking for its first victory of the season but instead found themselves with an opportunity to capture the tournament title.

The Matadors (2-4) opened the invitational winning against University of Elon on Friday night and then defeated University of Texas at San Antonio on Saturday morning. With the championship on the line CSUN lost to University of Sacramento State on Saturday night.

CSUN vs. Elon
The Matadors beat Elon in a comeback 3-2 victory (25-27, 25-22, 20-25, 25-23, 15-12), for the team’s first win of the season.

Even though the match had its ups and downs, head coach Jeff Stork feels it was a good start to the tournament.

“This was an emotional win for the girls,” Stork said.

The team did receive a big game from freshman opposite hitter Natalie Allen, finishing with a match-high 20 kills. Junior setter Sam Orlandini added a team-high 42 assists.

CSUN also received help from Puneet Pataria, who finished with a double-double, 13 kills and 10 digs.

“The girls are still playing very well,” Stork said. “We are scoring better, ball handling skills are good and our point scoring is really good.”

CSUN vs. UT-San Antonio

CSUN lost its first set against the Roadrunners, but came back to win three straight sets (17-25, 25-18, 25-16, 25-18).

Allen has been the offensive weapon for the team this season so far, finishing with a match-high 18 kills.

The team has had great back row support from libero Monica McFarland, who had 20 digs for the second straight match and added 13 kills.

“We had six aces and only six errors, a very good number,” Stork said. “And we hit .300 which is outstanding for a team.”

CSUN vs. Sacramento State

The Matadors snapped their two game winning streak against the Hornets, losing 1-3 (22-25, 20-25, 31-29, 18-25) at Colberg Court.

McFarland contributed 19 kills and 17 digs. Also Allen had 16 kills and 13 digs.

According to Stork the team played a solid tournament and received solid bench play.