Best happy hours in the Valley

Photo credit: Katie Grayot, Staff Photographer

Finding a good happy hour in the Valley can be challenging because there are many establishments to choose from. For half-priced food and drinks, the search for a good happy hour is worth it.

Among the wide variety of bars in the Valley, there are a few in CSUN’s proximity that receive a lot of attention.

Acapulco Mexican Restaurant and Cantina

Acapulco Mexican restaurant and cantina, located on Reseda Boulevard and Plummer Street, has a popular happy hour that draws in a large crowd on a nightly basis.

Monday’s are one of their signature days. On “Margarita Mondays,” they have house margaritas for $2.50 and $2.75.

“Monday’s crowd is mainly college students,” said Karen Ponce, Acapulco waitress. “Tuesdays through Thursdays (we) have more of an older crowd. Friday is our busiest day.”

One of Acapulco’s most popular drinks is the house margarita, which is a little on the salty side. Their complimentary chips and salsa accompany their margaritas perfectly.

For some patrons, the best part about Acapulco is their efficient service.

“I always get good service when I come to Acapulco,” said CSUN student Mercedes Robertson. “I hardly ever have to wait for a long time.”

El Torito

Another popular happy hour is at El Torito on Tampa Avenue near the Northridge Fashion Center. El Torito is known all around Northridge for its 99 cent tacos on Tuesday. There are three meat options for tacos: chicken, beef and pork.

Whichever meat is chosen is  put in a taco shell made from fresh masa. The tortilla shells are made on the spot.

Although most customers are there for the tacos, food from the regular or happy hour menu is available as well.

El Torito’s most popular drink is their fruit margaritas. They have a wide variety of flavors including mango, and strawberry.

Margaritas get ordered frequently according to El Torito manager Frank Gonzales.

El Torito can have a lively atmosphere depending on what day it is. However an area that needs to improvement, is the entertainment. Their televisions are a bit dated and they only have about two for the whole bar.

Webber’s Place Sports Bar and Grill

Another well known happy hour joint is Webber’s Place Sports Bar and Grill. It’s not as popular as the other previously mentioned restaurants, but it still deserves a reccomendation.

This happy hour has something for everyone. On certain nights, they  even have themes and specials.

Wednesday’s nights are hip hop nights were mainly local artists perform on stage.

They also have a two for one drink special for certain drinks from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. From 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. all drinks in the bar are two for one.

On Fridays, Webber’s has what they call ‘Rock a Billy’s Friday,’ which consists of live country music, and Monday’s are free comedy nights.

Scattered throughout the week there are live music performances. Mondays and Fridays are 18-years-old and over nights, unless there is a special event.

***

With these places it should be easier to narrow down the search for a good happy hour spot.?