Matadors Women volleyball continue to fall in Big West Conference play

Matador Cindy Ortiz (6) and Sam Orlandini (5) fall to the ground while trying to get the ball. Photo Credit: Patrick Dilanchian/contributing photographer

The CSUN women’s volleyball team stayed winless in conference play as they lost to UC Davis and Pacific on the road.

CSUN vs. UC Davis

Despite an all-around performance from sophomore Monica McFarland, the Matadors (6-12, 0-4 Big?West) lost against the Aggies (11-4, 3-0 Big West) on Friday night in four sets (18-25, 21-25, 25-23, 20-25).

McFarland had 10 kills (.241) to go with eight digs and three aces.

The team also received solid play from senior Janet Alvarado, who had a team-high 12 kills to go with six digs.

Although the Matadors lost in four sets, their best game was set three, which they won in a tough battle, 25-23, hitting .233 while adding nine kills and only two errors.

Alvarado added six kills and one block in the third set. After a Natalie Allen kill that tied the set at 22, Davis called its first timeout of the match.

The team won the set off a block from freshman setter Sydney Gedryn.

The rest of the sets did not go so well for CSUN.

The Matadors got off to a slow start in set one, 1-4, but off three straight kills from McFarland, they caught up, trailing only by three, 12-15.

CSUN was forced to call its first timeout of the match while trailing 14-18.

Sets two and four were alike, the Matadors only received solid play from McFarland, Alvarado and junior setter Sam Orlandini, who ended the night with 32 assists, 11 digs and two kills.

The Aggies did have plenty of fire power, which they got from sophomore Allison Whitson, who had a match-high 16 kills and 10 digs. Senior Melanie Adams added 13 kills and 10 digs.

CSUN vs. Pacific
The Matadors lost to Pacific (10-5, 3-1 Big West) on Saturday night at the Spanos Center in straight sets (15-25, 18-25, 20-25).

The Matadors kicked off set three with a 5-2 lead. Junior Una Siljegovic gave the team back-to-back kills plus a block assist from senior middle blocker Lynda Morales that kept the Matadors on top, 8-7.

The Matadors also started off set two on a good note. Orlandini’s ace, a couple of errors and point by the Tigers forced the team to call a quick timeout.

Alvarado had back-to-back kills, bringing the team to 10-11, but it was not enough. The Tigers had several players of its own playing well. Jennifer Sanders and Gabby Cowden combined for eight kills in set two.

Orlandini gave another solid performance in set two, having an ace, a block and eight assists, but it was not enough as Sanders won the set for the Tigers with a kill, 18-25.

The Tigers did not play particularly well, hitting only .172 but the Matadors beat themselves in that set with their 10 errors.

The Tigers got 32 kills from four players, topping the Matadors in straight sets, especially due to CSUN’s many errors.

Despite the team losing over the weekend, good news was noted for the Matadors as two players moved closer to breaking CSUN records. Senior middle blocker Lynda Morales is third in block assists and total blocks. Junior setter Orlandini is fourth in total assists.

The Matadors hope to gain some momentum in their next match against Cal State University, Bakersfield on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Matadome.