Matadors hockey team offense dominates

Matador’s assistant captain Chris Gale (10) leads the team in scoring. On Saturday nights’ game Gale added six more goals to his stats and obtained a hat trick with CSUN’s win Photo Credit: Monique Muniz / Assistant Sports Editor

From the second period to the end of the game, the Matadors showed a glimpse of last season’s high-scoring offense, only this time fresh faces were scoring as CSUN cruised by Sacramento State 14-5. 

“It was nice to get that contribution,” assistant coach J.P. Gale said. “There were three new players that scored their first goals of the season.”

The Matadors, who are 3-2 in Division III play, extended the Hornets (3-3) losing streak to three games.
Prior to Saturday’s game, CSUN beat UC Davis 6-2 on Friday night, transferring the momentum against the Hornets.

“I think we needed that game to get us started,” assistant captain Chris Gale said. “We came out slow in the first two periods of that game but in the third we came out strong.”

It was the first game of the season that CSUN has scored more than six goals, something they were able to accomplish in four out of the first seven games last season.

“We finally started relaxing and working as a team,” J.P. Gale said. “The relaxing and getting comfortable was the difference and that’s why we scored so many goals.”

Matador Chris Gale continued his offensive dominance as he scored six goals with two assists. The other eight goals were spread out among the Matadors with three coming from new comers Matt Goulet, Trevor Wohlford and Mason Lomeli, who all scored for the first time as Matadors.

“J.P. put me out there on a three on four and I just lined it up and put it in top left of the net,” Goulet said on how he scored his first goal.

The match was even through the first period. Northridge began to pull away after taking a 2-1 advantage into the second period.

“The beginning of the game both teams were getting the wheels going, but once you break that barrier and start popping goals in, you build confidence,” C. Gale said.

The start of the second belonged to the Matadors who scored eight goals in the period. With ten seconds gone by, Anthony Kendryna put CSUN up 2-1. CSUN finished the period with a 10-2 lead.

The Hornets couldn’t match the Matadors on either side of the puck, as their offense only added one goal in the period.

“I think we proved tonight that everyone can shoot the puck and I was glad to see a lot of guys get some goals,” Chris Gale said. “Goals will come and a lot of guys stress about getting that first goal, but it’s all about shooting the puck and getting it in.”

In the third it was Sacramento with a quick start, scoring right off the face off. A minute later CSUN’s Igor Kirzhener scored and the Matadors added three more goals before the end of the game.

The Matadors outshot the Hornets 64 to 38 with Karmon Jahavepour starting in goal for CSUN and in the beginning of the third Kevin Noonan took over in net finishing the game.

Northridge did not disappoint its guest L.A. Council member Dennis Zine, who took part in a ceremonial puck drop before the game.

CSUN will now head back on the road to face Santa Clara University in back-to-back games.

“I think it (confidence) will carry over a lot of guys who weren’t getting good touches and maybe their confidence was down and didn’t think they can score and because of that, everyone was relying on the first line to score all the goals,” said John Dove, who added to the scoring with a goal. “Now that we have the whole team firing on all cylinders I think we will be harder to play against.”