Letter to the Editor: Feb. 25 2009

This is an open letter to the students, faculty and employees at CSUN.

A CSUN student who just happens to be the starting point guard for the men’s basketball team, Josh Jenkins, was part of a tragic automobile accident last week, where the driver was killed and Josh himself barely survived, but not without surgery.’ He is likely out for the season.’ The day before, Josh played wonderfully in a trashing of UC Riverside at the Matadome, and gave the Matadors a commanding 8-3 Big West record and sole possession of first place.

If you know anything about this basketball team, it has had to bear adversity all season long.’ During the off season, Coach Bobby Braswell was in a very violent automobile accident himself.’ You might have also heard about the Best Buy incident where Deon Tresvant was suspended indefinitely.

The Matadors are currently tied with Long Beach for first place (after a loss to Irvine, without Josh) and now are headed into the final stretch without its two best players.

Winning the Big West regular season is important because this qualifies a team for an automatic National Invitation Tournament (NIT) berth.’ Further, winning the Big West (or finishing second), gives you a double-bye at the tournament where you are automatically in the semi-finals on Friday.’ Winning the Big West Tournament merits the team a spot in the NCAA tournament, aka The Big Dance.’ Yes, that March Madness bracket thing you fill out every year.’ You could see CSUN’s name on it.

This is where you come in.’ The team is in shock and disoriented right now as it has lost its senior floor leader from a tragic accident.’ The team still has lots of depth, is athletic and has heart.’ The story of this season can come to a moribund end, with the team reeling and finishing out the season, defeated.’ Or, you can turn this story into a most inspiring story of a campus community rallying to support one of its wounded members, Josh Jenkins, and willing the rest of the team to utter victory.’ This is stuff of movies.

What you can do – 1) show up for the last two home games: Wed. 2/25 at 7:05pm v. Santa Barbara and Sat. 2/28 v. Long Beach at 3pm (this is a Prime Ticket game and LB is tied for first place with us at this moment); 2) be ready to activley participate in the game (don’t wait for something to happen, will something to happen by yelling, clapping and encouraging); and 3) (for the students) stand up the whole game.’ You’ve seen student sections all throughout the country.’ They all stand.’ The whole game.’ It’s OK.’ But I implore you, just for these two games – stand for the team.’ Stand for Josh.’ Stand with the Matadors.’ This is not for yourself.’ This is to show what kind of faith, determination and heart you have as the CSUN community.’ I expect big things next week.’ I expect a standing room only Matadome.’ I know you guys can do it.

Don Le
Matadors Fan