Cody leads CSUN past Redlands in exhibition play

Matador Raymond Cody ties the game at 73 after he made all three free throws with 27 seconds left in regulation against Redlands on Friday night at the Matadome. Photo Credit: Monique Muniz Assistant Sports Editor

It was clear that last season’s loss at Cal Poly was still in Raymond Cody’s mind.

Cody was at the free throw line with a chance to give CSUN a one-point lead with 17 seconds left in regulation. However, Cody missed both shots to give the Mustangs a 73-72 victory on Jan. 23.

This time around Cody made sure to knock down the crucial free throws with the game on the line against Redlands on Friday night.

With the Matadors down 73-70 with 27 seconds left in regulation, Cody calmly drained three free throws to send the game into overtime. Northridge went on to defeat Redlands, 85-81, in an exhibition game at the Matadome

“Last year we lost a lot of close games within three points and here we go in another overtime game and as young as we are this was a great win for this team,” senior guard Cody, who had a team-high 17 points, said. “Last year at Cal Poly I missed two free throws that could have given us the lead, so I wasn’t trying to miss anymore tonight.”

After Cody’s free throws, Bulldog Jack Colston missed a shot from the left wing that could have been the game-winner.

In the extra period CSUN fell behind early after Colston, who scored 17 points, made a three-pointer that gave the Bulldog a 76-73 lead.

The game remained close as CSUN led 82-81 with 45 seconds remaining in overtime but Redlands inability to rebound doomed them. CSUN came up with two offensive rebounds and Dathan Lyles and Thomas Jacobs made free throws to close out the game.

Along with Cody the Matadors had four players in double figures; Rashaun McLemore (14 points), Lyles (12 points) and Josh Greene (11 points).

For the game CSUN shot 37.5 from the field compared to 43.8 percent from Redlands. From three-point range Northridge was 32 percent and the Bulldogs 29.6 percent.

CSUN lost the rebound battle, 55-42, as forwards Lenny Daniel and Frankie Eteuati sat out in order to get healthy for next week’s season opener at UCLA.