The U.S. should stay out of Libya

Dajnae Wilford
contributor

In a press conference held on March 21, President Obama reiterated that Libyan leader Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi must step down, cease the attacks on Libyan citizens, pull his troops out, and establish electricity, water, and gas throughout Libya.

The United States, UK, France and several other nations have all agreed those conditions are not negotiable and must be met.

Obama had not, however, clearly stated what actions specifically the U.S. would take in the conflict, nor had he consulted with Congress the “scope, objective and purpose of our passion in Libya.”

He then proceeded to take action by launching missiles into Libya and instituting a no-fly zone operation, which is something Congress takes very seriously calling it “unconstitutional” and an “impeachable offense.”

Furthermore, the United Nations Security Council resolution is not equal to U.S. military action as Speaker of the House John A. Boehner stated. Other leaders like Bolivian President Evo Morales and the head of Russia’s Liberal Democratic Party, Vladimir Zhirinovsky argue that Obama’s Nobel Peace Prize should be revoked for what they call “head[ing] a group of gangs to attack and invade.”

Most recently, reporters have found the U.S. and it’s allies are not actually going into the rebelling cities to aid the Libyan people.  Once Qaddafi’s troops are deployed within these cities they have the freedom to carry out attacks free from military opposition. Therefore, the attacks on the Libyan people have continued despite the foreign participation in this civil war.

Why has this impermissible action been taken and yet the people of Libya are still suffering as they were before?

Of course the safety, health and lives of the Libyan people should be respected, but as of now, how much help are we really giving them and how much more action can Obama take without the green light from Congress?

Will the missions end if Qaddafi is still in power? Is the money being used appropriated from the Department of Defense budget, and if so, how much?

There are so many questions to be asked that Obama, as well as the allied countries, have not answered and we, as citizens are left in the dark.

The U.S. should take a backseat in foreign affairs for now and let the United Nations completely take over, especially with estimates as high as $300 million a week being spent just on missiles like Tomahawks and B-2’s fired from the Mediterranean Sea to Libya.

We must also consider the U.S. is currently running a $1.27 trillion deficit. Domestic affairs should be handled first.

More importantly though, if further action is taken, which is very likely at this point, then Obama needs to consult Congress first and give them a clear cut view of the actions the U.S. may take, the purpose of them, and a plan for the future and a total cost of the mission in Libya.