Sundial Update

Students can apply for state government study program

Students interested in state government can now apply for the Sacramento Semester program, taught through CSU Sacramento, which will place them in both an internship and an intensive seminar to learn about California government and politics. Students can intern with either the Legislature, the executive branch or with a lobbying organization in Sacramento, and the seminar offers 12 semester units of political science credit. The program began in 1976, and interns have been placed in offices representing nearly every aspect of state government. The goal of the program, according to a statement from primary organizer Jean Torcom, a professor at CSU Sacramento, is the total immersion into the political scene and to give students a learning experience in public policy formation that would otherwise not be available to them. Interested students should contact the Political Science Department for additional information, as well as to submit their application, which is due Nov. 16. The CSUN campus has a member of the political science faculty, professor Nicholas Dungey, serving as the local representative of the program who can provide more information.

– Ryan Denham

Main Art Gallery to premiere

Mexican folk art exhibition

The Mirando al Sur/Mirando al Norte exhibition, which features 54 artists, including 27 from the Los Angeles area, will open Oct. 15 in the Main Gallery of the Art Department. As part of the exhibit, 27 Los Angeles artists have interpreted the work of 27 Mexican folk artists in unique and surprising ways, according to a statement from organizers. The exhibition includes papier mache, silver jewelry, painting, ceramics, as well as installation and new media pieces. An opening reception will be held Oct. 15, which will feature live music by Willy Loya and Trio de Alma, as well as a lowrider exhibition from Duke’s Car Club. The exhibit is co-curated by Professor Kent Kirkton of the Journalism Department and Sybil Venegas of East Los Angeles College. The departments of Art, Journalism, Chicano/a Studies, and the Center of Photojournalism and Visual History provided additional funding for the exhibition. It will run through Nov. 19.

– R.D. and Julie White

Hermanos Unidos gives help to lost students, juvenile diabetics

Hermanos Unidos, also known as Brothers United, is a new club on campus for male students. The members meet Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Balboa Room in the University Student Union for about three hours to study. According to Jose Garcia, a member of the group, students can get help with math and English assignments. It is also a good way for them to get involved, and in turn give back to their community through different services they perform, he said. The first event the group did this semester was a event called “Lost,” where members handed out maps to students who were unfamiliar with the recent name changes of several buildings. Furthermore, they also do car washes to sponsor the Juvenile Diabetes Organization.

-J.W.

Corrections and Clarifications

In the campus voice feature, published Oct. 3, the photography and text was incorrectly credited to Alison Brashears, staff photographer. In fact, the campus voice feature should have been credited to Carla Acevedo, a contributing photographer.

In an article, “Topanga wildfire closes campus, causes gridlock,” published Oct. 3, Patrick Mushegian’s name was incorrectly spelled.