CSUN tennis defeats LMU 4-3

CSUN beats LMU in matches at Matador Tennis Complex Thursday afteroon Photo Credit: Misael Virgen / Photo Editor

By Michael Davis

With the Big West Conference Tournament looming, the Matadors (14-9) faced off in a grueling tennis match against the Loyola Marymount Lions on a hot Thursday afternoon.

On the first court, Brooke Doane battled against LMU’s No. 1-seeded player in a fast-paced shoot off.

With a one-set lead, Doane was not only battling the hard-hitting Lion, but also her herself. She had to retire in the second set due to back spasms, which seemed to be hurting her throughout the match.

Matadors Jennifer Sher, Nigora Sirojiddinova and Maria Pistalu cleaned up their opponents in winning styles, leading CSUN to a 4-3 victory.

Sher won her match on the second court, 2-0.

“I was very proud of the win because I had to battle the wind along with my opponent. I am looking forward to the Big West Tournament and progressing to get better, but as of now, I am strictly focused on my next match against Pacific,” Sher said.

Pistalu also swept her competition, winning 2-0. Despite the low seeding in the conference tournament, she said confidence has not left the team.

“It is not the seeding we deserved, but after some tough losses that is where we are sitting at. Even still, I am very confident that we can overcome the low seed and make it very far in the tournament,” Pistalu said.

Sirojiddinova was playing on the fourth court and seemed to be on cruise control in the first set, taking it in an easy manner. That quickly changed as the second set belonged to the Lions as Sirojiddinova was defeated.

With the Matadors up 3-2, it was up to Sirojiddinova to close out her clash and seal the victory for Cal State Northridge.

Up by a couple games in the third set, Sirojiddinova quickly came out and grabbed a 40-0 lead. With double match points, the Lions were not going out quietly. LMU came back and brought it to a deuce before Sirojiddinova delivered the final two blows, one being a screaming ace.

“All the ladies played very well and I am extremely proud of all of them. I am feeling nothing less than positive about our chances heading into the game with Pacific.” CSUN coach Gary Victor said.

CSUN’s next match is April 23rd at home against the University of the Pacific.