How much is enough to cut from the federal budget?

While bipartisan bickering has stalled progress in the House and Senate for months, Obama released his budget proposal with an emphasis on compromise among congressional leaders.

His proposal calls for a $770 billion cut from non-security spending by 2023 and $400 billion from defense spending by that same year, Business Week reported.

In that same article, the numbers are broken down to explain just how much those figures mean to individual organizations. For example, Housing and Urban Developmentā€™s community development fund will lose $942 million, public transportation grants will lose $680 million, more than $700 million will be cut from low-income housing and grants for emergency response agencies will lose $786 million.

The largest portions of U.S. spending is on Social Security, Medicare and defense. But many of the cuts proposed by the Republican-controlled House and Democratic-controlled Senate have predominantly targeted social services for budget reductions, while leaving the large portion of military spending only lightly affected.

Should the government shift its priorities, or are they, in fact, compromising? Are these cuts to social services a wise choice taking into consideration that the hardest hit organizations tend to be those that train future employees and aid needy citizens?