Sundial Update

Dorm community nets $182 with pie-throwing fundraiser

Residents and staff members of the CSUN residence halls had an opportunity to throw a pie in the faces of resident advisers, as well as some campus security, on Oct. 5 in the University Park Apartments. For those who attended the event, held between UPA Building 8 and Building 11, it was $1 to throw a whip cream, pudding and cherry pie at the person of their choice. The event was planned to help raise money for the victims of Hurricane Katrina, and organizers raised approximately $182. “Our association wanted to make the event worthwhile for the community while maintaining its main intent to assist further in the Hurricane Katrina Relief Effort,” said Peter Gallego, vice president of finance for Residence Halls Association. “Pies would make the experience great and the cost is minimal,” he said. The idea came from Michael Catron, a resident adviser in UPA Building 6, who proposed the idea to the RHA not long after the hurricane made landfall. Two officers from the CSUN police department and more than 15 resident advisers were eligible to be “creamed.” Residents indulged in hot dogs, refreshments sold for $2, and some of the pie that was being thrown. “Our association is very proud of the outcome of the event, and we are ever so great to all those housing leaders that participated in the event. Not only was this an example of giving to others, but a time where leadership worked together to give our residents a event that was both fun and rewarding,” Gallego said.

– Candice Mitchell

Former CSUN student awaits

trial for alleged terrorism plot

Former El Camino College and CSUN student Gregory Vernon Patterson is now in a Santa Ana jail awaiting a trial that is scheduled for later this month or early November, said Winston Kevin McKesson, Patterson’s attorney. Patterson, 21, was one of four men accused of plotting a terrorist attack in Southern California last summer. Levar Haney Washington, Kevin Lamar James, Hammad Riaz Samana and Patterson face charges of conspiracy to levy war against the U.S. government through terrorism. Patterson pleaded not guilty to the federal charges. Prosecuting attorney Kevin Smith did not return phone calls from the Daily Sundial. Patterson and Washington, 25, have been in prison since July 5. According to news reports, Torrance police arrested the men in connection with allegedly robbing several gas stations and convenience stores in South Bay. After the arrests of Patterson and Washington, police became suspicious of a list of potential targets allegedly found during the investigation. Federal and counterterrorism officials were then brought in to help investigate the case. Some of the targets found by investigators were military installations and army recruitment centers, according to news reports. Investigations also led to James, 29, who allegedly created the group Ul Islam Is Saheeh, or the Assembly of Authentic Islam, while in prison. James met Washington in prison, and there they planned their alleged terrorism plot, according to news reports. Before Washington left prison, James allegedly told him to find recruits with no criminal records and to gather up firearms, according to news reports. Washington then attended a mosque where he met Patterson and Samana six months after he was released from prison. “He is a good person,” McKesson said of Patterson. “He is very religious and wouldn’t do anything to this country.”

– Oscar Areliz

Corrections and Clarifications

In “Landscaper’s job more than just watering plants,” published Oct. 5, Physical Plant Management lead groundsworker Yoshi Teshima’s name was misspelled. The Daily Sundial apologizes for this error.

In “Men’s soccer travels to UCSB for televised match,” published Oct. 6, head men’s soccer coach Terry Davila’s first name and title were never introduced.