Sundial Update

USU to host karaoke, crafts and movie screening events

Events scheduled for this week in the University Student Union include a karaoke lunch in the Pub Sports Bar and Grill today at noon and a crafts table called “2nd Chance Crafts” near the main entrance of the USU today starting at 11 a.m. There will a screening of the film “Batman Begins” Thursday night in the Pub Sports Bar and Grill starting at 8 p.m. A noontime concert is scheduled for next week on Oct. 19. Also, the USU’s Union Program Council will sponsor a trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain’s Fright Fest on Oct. 22, but space is limited and tickets are $15. There will be a CPR and First Aid Certification program later in the month on Oct. 29 at 9 a.m. in the USU. Students looking to get certified and attend the program must pay $25 to register at the USU cashier.

– Ryan Denham

Associated Students Attorney General Jahangard resigns

Associated Students Attorney General Hamid Jahangard resigned Monday from his post, citing academic workload and employment obligations as factors in his decision. In a written correspondence to A.S. leadership, Hamid said he found himself unable to perform his job duties to standards set by himself, the current A.S. administration and the CSUN student body. In his role as attorney general, Jahangard was chair of the A.S. Constitutional Affairs Board, which in addition to A.S. constitutional matters works with the constitutions of student clubs and organizations. A.S. President Chad Charton said he did know yet who would take over the position. Jahangard was a key figure in the push to get three constitutional referendums on the October election ballot. The first two referendums both concern the CAB and a possible reorganization of the board. The third referendum would establish new “at-large” seats in the A.S. Senate.

– R.D.

Local tribal leader to bless Columbus Awareness display

Rudy Ortego, a local Tatavian tribal leader, will bless the Columbus Awareness display currently in place in the Sierra Quad today at noon. The display, which was designed and installed by members of the American Indian Student Association and students from the American Indian Studies program, has been in place since Monday, Columbus Day. Organizers said the purpose of the display, a combination of informational signs and colorful representations, was to educate students about explorer Christopher Columbus’ discovery of America, contesting that Columbus’ arrival in the New World brought with it a destructive genocide that affected a large population of Native Americans. “The basic question is why do we celebrate a great myth who never discovered anything?” said Karren Baird-Olson, coordinator of the American Indian Studies program. “You can’t discover somebody who’s already here,” she said. Baird-Olson said the land CSUN currently sits on once belonged to the Tatavian tribe.

– R.D.

Nominations now accepted for employee mentor award

Nominations are now being accepted to honor outstanding mentors from the ranks of CSUN faculty, staff and administration for the 2005 Don Dorsey Excellence in Mentoring Awards. The awards, presented by the Faculty Mentor Program, recognizes employees who during the past academic year made exceptional contributions to mentoring of past and present students. Faculty, students, staff and administrators may submit nominations. A reception honoring the recipient will be held Nov. 8. The Faculty Mentor Program and the Educational Opportunity Program established the mentoring awards in 1998. The awards are named after Professor Don Dorsey of Educational Psychology and Counseling who helped develop CSUN’s first mentor training program and devoted himself as a mentor to innumerable students, according to a statement from the Educational Opportunity Program.

– R.D.