Poetry Slam team to hold auditions and open mic

CSUN’s regional champion Poetry Slam team, will be hosting auditions and an open mic, in the Games Room, under the fitness center, Wednesday, 8-10 p.m.

“There will be comedians, singing, dancing, rapping, a lot of poetry and anything else creative the students can think of,” said Samantha Liu, who runs the poetry team.

ESPRESSIONS, a monthly open mic night at CSUN, will have short student performances, coffee, cheese and crackers, water and desserts, as well as Flypoet Entertainment, professional spoken word artists, performing between every few acts.

“We want to create a coffee shop atmosphere for the open mic night,” Liu explained.

For students that want to try out for the Poetry Slam team, there will be five judges there to evaluate their skills. The students with the top five scores will be on the team, Liu said.

“We expect to have upwards of 150 people. It’s free and people just wander in to see what’s going on,” she said. “There are couches and everyone can hang out and watch the entertainment.”

“Come out and support the artists or try out. Have a great time and listen to some poetry, comedy and entertainment,” Liu said.  “I’m so excited to put the Poetry Slam team together and can’t wait to see who shows up.”