Sundial Update

Fraternity to host fashion show, raise money for Katrina efforts

The Hollywood Nights Fashion Extravaganza will be held tonight at 7 p.m. by the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity at the University Student Union Northridge Center. There will be about 30 CSUN students who will be fashion models at the show, said Kenneth Jackson, senior finance major and president of APA. The clothes on display will be from about four to five designers, he said. Different fashion segments of the show will include business, hip-hop and sleep wear. The event is free to attend, but attendees will be asked to give donations that will go toward Hurricane Katrina Relief efforts, Jackson said.

– Samuel Richard

A.S. prepares for Homecoming, stresses school spirit, sports

“College Spirit” is the theme for the Associated Students Homecoming this academic year, said Director of Homecoming Cindy Ramos. Homecoming will be held in Spring 2006 with the intent to build the spirit of the CSUN community. Currently serving her second year at the director of homecoming, Ramos said the event this year will aim its focus more on CSUN sports, including basketball and baseball. “School spirit revolves around sports traditionally,” she said. CSUN has great sports teams, and the goal of homecoming is to get people to recognize them, she said. Applications for homecoming royalty, including king, queen, prince and princess, will be accepted in November, but no specific date has been set. No date has been given for homecoming. This year, homecoming spirit-related events are kicking off by showing the “Nightmare on Elm Street” in front of the Oviatt Library on the Sierra Quad Lawn at 6 p.m. on Oct 27.

– Mary-Alexandra Andrusco

Communications students help youngsters with public speaking

High school students will continue to receive education and mentorship, as students in CSUN’s Communication for Youth Institute teach them how to perform public speaking. The program focuses on helping the students defeat their fears and improve several of their speech-related skills. The institute has held its 12-week program every Saturday from 9 – 11:45 a.m. The program will run only for a few more weeks, and CSUN students are encouraged to check out the program, said Alisha Murray, a communication studies student who is participating in the institute. The institute, which is officially under the Communication Studies Department, first started since Fall 1996.

– S.R.

CSUN college to honor students with awards, nudge graduation

The Second Annual Medallion Awards Ceremony for students in the College of Engineering and Computer Science will be held on Oct 28. According to the Associate Dean Mike Kabo, 156 students were approved and eligible for the award and about 70 students have made reservations to attend the ceremony. According to Administrative Coordinator Cindy Barrett, the Medallion Award’s purpose is to recognize significant academic degree process for high-unit majors, and to motivate them to continue to excel. Barrett said that the medallions being awarded look similar to Olympic medals and come in bronze, silver and gold. Every major within the college is getting an award. “Graduation is a major accomplishment and this is a pat on the back (to get them there),” Barrett said, adding that the majors within the college are challenging.

– M.A.A