Sundial Update

Pre-Medical conference to offer workshop Saturday at USU

The 5th Annual Pre-Medical Conference will take place Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the University Student Union. The event, a collaboration of a number of student groups from the College of Science and Mathematics, is also sponsored by Associated Students, the college’s dean’s office, Educational Opportunity Program and Kaplan. The conference offers a number of workshops, programs and seminars for students interested in entering a medical profession, with sessions like “Becoming a Stronger Applicant” and “MCAT Preparation.” Dr. Manual Sacapano, neurosurgeon at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in West Hollywood, will give the keynote presentation, and individuals from several UC campuses will be on hand for seminars. Student groups that helped coordinate the event include Chicanos for Community Medicine, American Medical Student Association, Black Pre-Health, Pre-Pharmacy, and Pre-Dental.

-Ryan Denham

Student group plans AIDS/HIV awareness program for Friday

A group of students from a communications class at CSUN will host an AIDS awareness and prevention event Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Student Services Lawn. Five students, who formed a new group called Be Education, or B.E., will be on hand to pass out free condoms and brochures informing students about HIV, a virus that causes AIDS, according to Ngom Priso, junior economics and criminal law major at CSUN. From a booth, the group will also pass out free candy and cookies to passersby. Priso describes group members, who are all juniors or seniors, as involved in the program for different reasons, beyond its link to the communications class. “Everyone is very dedicated, and very active in the group.” He said the group could take their mission off campus, perhaps to other universities or to other places in the community. “As a group, it’s going to be depend on how the students react to see what we’re going to do.”

-R.D.

USU Pub to host After Dark club night event set for tonight

The University Student Union Pub Sports Bar and Grill will host a “Pub After Dark” event tonight from 8 p.m. to midnight. Eddie Cota, a public relations assistant for the USU’s Design Factory and senior journalism major, said the event is a club night event, and something the USU wanted to try to see if students would respond positively to. “It is an experiment-type thing. If it is a success, we want to be able to have a more regularly scheduled club nights on campus,” Cota said, adding that Izzy Sandoval, special events chair for the USU’s programming arm, the Union Program Council, was the primary organizer of the event. Students must bring their student IDs, all ages are welcome, and alcohol will be served. Resident disc jockey D.J. Logik will be on hand, as well as D.J. Fashow from KIIS-FM.

-R.D.

Eclectic Lounge to raise funds for Hurricane Katrina victims

The Eclectic Lounge will be held at the Satellite Student Union Shoshone Room Nov. 12 at 7 p.m. to raise money for recent victims of Hurricane Katrina. A small group of students from their Communications 323 class – Group Communications – organized the lounge as part of a project to “benefit humanity,” said Nina Moshiri, a senior human resource management and marketing major who is part of the group, also known Dinomite. There will be live music from bands, including Beating the Bounds and Rescue Me Wednesday. The SSU is located on the corner of Zelzah Avenue and Lassen Street. The setting of the Shoshone will be changed to look liked a coffee shop with sofas and chairs, Moshiri said. Coffee and pastries will be provided. If attendees donate canned food, the entrance fee will be $5 to $7. “If it could help one hurricane victim, then our event is a success,” Moshiri said. Other features of the event will include mixing from DJ Mytar, a pianist and a giveaway of $20 and $25 gift cards for Chipotle and Chile’s. “I’m very honored to have this opportunity to help hurricane victims,” Moshiri said.

-Samuel Richard