Sundial Update

SDIP’s International Education Week events to begin today

CSUN’s International Education Week will run from today to Nov. 16 across campus, as organizers from Student Development and International Programs plot out events focused on study abroad programs and cultural learning. “The goal of International Education Week is to spread cultural awareness and international education through various events, entertainment, forums and lectures for students, staff and faculty,” said Michelle Ayazi from SDIP, in an e-mail. Highlights of the week include a discussion about Italian economy, business and tourism led by members of the Italian government, including Diego Brasioli, consul general of Italy. The discussion will take place from 12 to 2 p.m. in the Whitsett Room in Sierra Hall. On Nov. 16, study abroad opportunities in Japan and Africa will be discussed with Tom Spencer-Walters, chair of the Pan-African Studies Department, and Akiko Hirota from the Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures Department. The discussion will take place from 12 to 2 p.m. in the University Student Union Flintridge Room. On Thursday, organizers will host the International Open Market, which will feature cultural entertainment and traditional art displays on the Matador Bookstore Lawn from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The series of events is sponsored and supported by the CSUN Omega Chapter of Phi Beta Delta, the Honor Society of International Scholars and Associated Students.

– Ryan Denham

Women and social change to be discussed at Tuesday conference

The Chicano/a Studies Department at CSUN will sponsor a “Women and Social Change in Mexico” conference Nov. 15 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Whitsett Room in Sierra Hall. Panelists will discuss Mexican culture, politics and economics through the lens of women’s struggles for social justice. The event is based on the experiences of students in a Chicano/a Studies class that traveled to Mexico. Topics that will be discussed include women and religion, Zapatismo and the struggles of indigenous women, feminism, women’s health, alternative medicine and information on the next Chicano/a Studies course planned for Summer 2006 in Cuernavaca, Mexico.

– R.D.

National Pan-Hellenic Council to host open mic event tonight

Fraternity and sorority leaders will lead a series of events to celebrate the National Pan-Hellenic Council Greeks this week. Tonight, the Alpha Phi Alpha and Omega Psi Phi fraternities and the Sigma Gamma Rho sorority will host an open mic night in the University Student Union Grand Salon from 7 to 9 p.m. Those interested in attending should bring a canned food item as a donation to victims of Hurricane Katrina. A Meet the Black Greeks event hosted by the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority will be held Nov. 15 on Sierra Walk from 12 to 2 p.m. A CSUN Talent Show will be held Nov. 16 at 7 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center in the USU. On Nov. 17, students can meet the chapters of the organizations of the NPHC to see what black Greek life is about at an NPHC Informational event. The informational event will take place in the Satellite Student Union San FernandeƱo Room at 7 p.m.

– R.D.

CSUN Symphony Orchestra to perform with NYC opera

Fifteen members of the CSUN Symphony Orchestra will perform with the Chelsea Opera of New York Dec. 15-18 at the historic El Portal Theatre in North Hollywood. The group will perform “Amahl and the Night Visitors,” written by Gian Carlo Menotti, and produced and presented by the Chelsea Opera of New York in cooperation with producer Mavis Cordero of Cordero Communications. The story of “Amahl and the Night Visitors” is a popular American opera, performed internationally every Christmas season. According to organizers, the opera appeals to people of all ages and musical backgrounds. Performances in English will take place Dec. 15-18 at 8 p.m., with a 2 p.m. performance on Dec. 18. Spanish performances will have a separate cast Dec. 17 at 5 p.m. and Dec. 18 at 5 p.m. Tickets are $25 and $35, with special rates for students.

– R.D.