Sundial Update

Two small quakes shake Calif. community Monday afternoon

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (AP) – Two light earthquakes shook California on Monday, but there were no reports of injuries or damage, authorities said. The first temblor, a magnitude 3.0, struck at 11:31 a.m. about five miles west of Mettler in Kern County, according to a preliminary report by the U.S. Geological Survey. Mettler is a small, unincorporated community about 22 miles south of Bakersfield and 70 miles north of Los Angeles. It was followed at 2 p.m. by a magnitude-3.4 quake 17 miles east of Julian in San Diego County. It struck near the Elsinore fault, where the last major quake was a magnitude 6.0 in 1910. That temblor caused little damage. Monday’s Kern County quake occurred near the White Wolf fault. The last time the fault caused a major quake was in 1952 when an estimated magnitude-7.5 temblor killed 12 people and injured 18.

CSUN students to interact with schoolmates in China

Two theater students who recently went to China will speak with their fellow schoolmates at CSUN live over the phone from the country Nov.17 from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the University Student Union Thousand Oaks Room, as part of International Education Week. The event, titled “All the World’s a Stage,” will set up a live feed with CSUN theater students Sean Hill and Patric McInnis, who have been in China for a few months. The two students recently received scholarships to attend the Beijing Central Academy of the Dramatic Arts. “It’s illuminating,” said William Taylor, theater department manager, adding that he, along with Theater Department Chair Peter Grego, will let students know why an international perspective in theater is so important. Students at CSUN will ask Hill and McInnis various questions. Theater students have been involved in some way with international education because it is important to the Theater Department, Taylor said. The Theater Department has been a part of activities in seven countries: Brazil, Ireland, Japan, Spain, UK, Korea, China and Mexico, Taylor said, adding that they have either done projects in the countries or had directors and producers come CSUN and work on projects. “So often some of these things become pedantic,” Taylor said. “We wanted to make sure that this was a live presentation.”

-Samuel Richard

Film screenings to highlight importance of Renaissance

Two documentaries about the Renaissance and its significance will be shown at the Italian Film/Art Documentary presentation Nov. 16 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in Jerome Richfield Hall, room 316. The presentation, part of International Education Week, will show “Masters of Illusion,” a 30-to-40-minute film that will focus on art, specifically the “phenomena of perspective,” said Anthony Costantini, one of the two presenters and professor in the Modern and Classical Languages Department. The second film, titled “Power of the Mind,” is more culturally broad, and will present how the Renaissance, an era many consider to have been a revolutionary intellectual and artistic movement after the Middle Ages, slowly became the new “anthropological vision of reality,” where the human being becomes the center of the attention, Costantini said. Students will engage in discussions with the two presenters after the films are shown. “It’s important for our students to be aware of how much the Renaissance influenced art music, science – and (for them) to have a more personal contact with the Renaissance itself,” said Patricia Miller, one of the presenters and director of the Barbara and Ward Language Center, where the film will be shown. A third film may be shown, but Costantini could not confirm it. The presenters will also talk about the Renaissance and its influence on various aspects today’s Western culture, Miller said, adding that she is willing to show more films at least once or twice a year. “It’s very important to us to stimulate conversation in them, and to have them be participatory in the learning process,” Miller said of the attendees.

-S.R.

Corrections and Clarifications

In a Nov. 14 article titled ” ‘Halloween’ producer dies from wounds in hotel bombings in Jordan,” the Associated Press incorrectly reported that Michael Myers wore a hockey mask. In fact, Jason Voorhees from the horror movie “Friday the 13th” wore a hockey mask.