Sundial Update

Two CSUN students, woman

in three-car traffic accident

A traffic accident involving two CSUN students occurred at the intersection of White Oak Avenue and Plummer Street at about 2 p.m. Tuesday. A woman going northbound on White Oak Avenue entered the intersection and was struck by CSUN freshman Teddy Pongpipat, who was driving east on Plummer Street. “She didn’t look,” he said adding that he did not have time to stop. Pongpipat had his younger brother and cousin in the car with him. None of them were injured. The woman’s and Pongpipat’s cars spun and struck junior business major Anacani Gonzalez’s car, which was waiting at a stop sign facing northbound on White Oak Avenue. “The lady went through the intersection and the guy (Pongpipat) hit her, and they both hit me,” she said. Gonzalez had her two younger siblings in the car. None were injured. The woman was taken to the hospital by paramedics due to a history of heart problems, not due to accident-related injuries, according to Gonzalez and Pongpipat.

– Bethania Palma

Rain cancellation moves USU’s Craft Corner event to today

Today at 11:30 a.m., students, faculty and staff will be able to get creative for free and while supplies last at the Craft Corner outside the Mercantile Exchange in the University Student Union. The event replaces a Nov. 9 Craft Corner event canceled due to rain. The Arts and Lectures Committee of the Union Program Council, the programming arm of the USU, will demonstrate how to design certain crafts, such as holiday candles and give those who participate a break from their everyday routine and an opportunity to create something fun and to get to know others while creating some festive cheer, according to Kevin Lizarraga, marketing coordinator for the USU. The Craft Corners throughout the year usually generate between 150 and 200 participants, Lizarraga said. “The Union Program Council usually purchases 200 items and keeps the booth open until everything is gone,” Lizarraga said. There will be another Craft Corner on Nov. 23, when those participating can decorate t-shirts, and also on Dec. 7, individuals can make a “flower pen,” or a pen made out of a flower.

– Candice Mitchell

Cultural entertainment, art to

highlight Open Market event

As part of CSUN’s International Education Week, an International Open Market featuring cultural entertainment and traditional art displays will be held on the Matador Bookstore Lawn Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The event, described as something that will allow participants to “become a citizen of the world,” is free and is being organized by Student Development and International Programs. There will be different international student tables set up highlighting different countries featuring quick facts, cultural information and food recipes. “There will be a demonstration by the Armenian Student Association how to make Armenian bread, a Chinese Calligrapher who will be offering his/her services, as well as a henna tattoo artist,” said Marta Lopez, study abroad and national student exchange adviser in SDIP. There will also be live performances by various cultural student groups on campus from 12 p.m. until 1 p.m., including the African Student Organization, Filipino American Student Association, the Armenian Student Association, CSUN Capoeria.

– C.M.

Students to display talent at USU Annual Student Showcase

Tonight aspiring CSUN students will get an opportunity to allow community members, friends and family to see their raw talent. The University Student Union’s Union Program Council is sponsoring their 4th Annual Student Showcase at the Performing Arts Center at the USU, where some of the school’s best rappers, singers, bands, and dancers will be able to perform in front of an audience. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., and the event starts at 7 p.m. Auditions for the event were taking place over the last couple of weeks and have been narrowed down to 13 performers. Admission is free and there will be a panel of judges consisting of the president and vice president of Associated Students, a local radio personality, and Vanessa Lee, chair of sports and recreation for the UPC, which will decide the showcase’s prizewinners.

– C.M.