Sundial Update

United Nations official to give two lectures at CSUN today

CSUN’s Global Village Forum will bring an official from the United Nations to campus today to give two lectures. Audrey Kitagawa, adviser to the Office of the Special Representative of the Secretary General for Children and Armed Conflict at the U.N., will give her first lecture from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Whitsett Room in Sierra Hall about the U.N., world religions and the future of world peace. Kitagawa will then speak from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the University Student Union about the U.N. and women’s development internationally. The College of Humanities and the Religious Studies, Women’s Studies, Art, Communication Studies, Asian American Studies, Pan-African Studies departments sponsored the event, along with the Institute on Gender Globalization and Democracy and the Women’s Resource and Research Center. For more information, contact organizer Mutombo Nkulu-N’Sengha at 677-3395.

– Ryan Denham

Free men’s soccer NCAA match tickets available today at USU

Tickets for the Matador men’s soccer team’s NCAA Tournament second-round match will go on sale today at 10 a.m. at the Associated Students Ticket Office in the University Student Union. Tickets are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and are expected to sell out quickly. The first 250 students who show up to the A.S. Ticket Office with a valid CSUN ID will receive one free ticket to Tuesday’s match courtesy of Associated Students. Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for students with a valid ID, with children two and younger admitted free. Once pre-sale tickets sell out, additional tickets may become available beginning Monday at 2 p.m. at the Ticket Office. After Monday, any remaining tickets will be sold at Matador Soccer Field on Tuesday beginning at noon, when gates open for the 1 p.m. start. Fans are encouraged to arrive early, as all seats are general admission and available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Due to necessary adjustments, fans will be unable to watch Tuesday’s match from outside the venue. Also, coolers, outside food and beverages, chairs and umbrellas are prohibited inside Matador Soccer Field.

– Athletics Department

Chrysler Hydrogen-using car

to be on display at CSUN today

In a push to try to get the world to no longer use gasoline for vehicles, UCLA alumna Alex Cota and Vasilios Manousiouthakis, a UCLA chemical engineering professor, will come to campus today at approximately 12:30 p.m. to showcase a Chrysler prototype that runs on hydrogen. The car, which was converted from being a gasoline-using vehicle, will be driven from the UCLA campus in Westwood and shown in the parking lot outside Jacaranda Hall near Lindley Avenue and Plummer Street. The showcase is part of a project that could put a stop to air pollution, and put a damper on “oil terrorism,” Cota said. “(We’ve) got to get students awake,” he said. “It’s very important to our world economy, our nation’s economy and … the air you breathe.” Cota said he lobbied for the project to take place several years after UCLA students successfully converted a car to run on hydrogen in 1973. “We’re talking about hydrogen as a fuel,” he said, adding that the element is “super abundant.” The likelihood and cost of converting a car to run on hydrogen and other topics will be brought up when the car arrives, Cota said. Cota hopes to get a club that addresses the topic of students using hydrogen on every college and university campus in the United States. “I haven’t forgotten my days of being a student,” Cota said, adding that he thinks using hydrogen for fuel is better. “If I had to pay gasoline prices that we had to pay now, I’d be moaning and groaning and picketing (everywhere) – .Higher and higher gasoline prices doesn’t make it easier for (students) to go to school.”

– Samuel Richard