Sundial Update

Matadors to take on UCSB

in NCAA Tournament today

The No. 13 Matadors men’s soccer team will host the No. 14 UC Santa Barbara Gauchos today at 1 p.m. in a second-round NCAA Tournament match at Matador Soccer Field. The Matadors earned a first-round bye in the tournament following its capture of the Big West Conference Championship. The Gauchos defeated the San Diego State last weekend to make it to the second round. The winner of Tuesday’s match will take on the winner of the New Mexico/Wisconsin-Milwaukee game, which will be played tonight at 6 p.m. in Albuquerque. If the Matadors and Lobos win, CSUN will travel to New Mexico for a match. A Panthers win would give the Matadors another home game. The third round game will take place on either Nov. 26 or 27. The game will be broadcast on GoMatadors.com. The Associated Students Ticket Office is out of free tickets, but students, faculty or staff interested in purchasing a ticket could do so before 12 p.m. at the Ticket Office in the University Student Union and after 1 p.m. at Matador Soccer Field.

– Ryan Denham

Armenian Student Association launches weekly newsletter

The Armenian Student Association launched a weekly newsletter Nov. 14 that will reach out to CSUN students and bring Armenian-related articles and news items to readers. According to Terenig Topjian, public relations for ASA, people can pick up a copy of the newsletter at a billboard located on Magnolia Walkway outside the Oviatt Library. The name of this newsletter is “Eench Ga, Chga?” The figurative translation is “What’s Up?” “Each week, a few articles are selected from various Armenian news outlets and printed in a short, one-page newsletter for any CSUN student, Armenian or not, to pick up and read,” Topjian said in an e-mail. The newsletter’s aim is to keep the more than 3,000 Armenian students that attend CSUN aware about important events taking place in the Armenian Diaspora and in their homeland, Topjian said.

– R.D.

Court decides educators claim against governor must change

A court decided in a hearing on Nov. 18 that in order for a lawsuit brought by state superintendent of schools Jack O’Connell, the California Teacher’s Association, and parents to continue, the plaintiffs must make technical changes to their claim to proceed through the litigation process. “(The court) said we needed to make it clearer that the governor has a duty to appropriate the money,” said Hilary McLean, press secretary for superintendent Jack O’Connell. O’Connell, the CTA and parents claim that Schwarzenegger owes state schools $3.1 billion under voter-approved Proposition 98. “Proposition 98 is a constitutional protection for educational funding, which is intended to grow over time to keep up with increases in stud population and increasing cost for schools and to protect funding for schools from fluctuating wildly with ups and downs in the state’s budget. It’s a minimum funding guarantee,” McLean said. She said that two years ago, Schwarzenegger borrowed $2 billion from schools to help with the state. McLean said when state revenues increased, the governor was supposed to increase the budget for schools, but he set the “starting point” for funding at the level after the $2 billion was taken. She said the governor’s broken promises cheats state education out of the $3.1 billion.

– Bethania Palma