Sundial Update

USU designers win awards for new logo and ad campaigns

The University Student Union graphic design team was honored with the first-place award in the logo/brand identity category for the new USU logo design at the Association of College Unions International Region 15 “Steal This Idea” graphics contest Nov. 5. The ACUI seeks the best marketing and promotional ideas, and presents them at the conference’s “Steal This Idea” contest. Awards are given to both student and professional designers. A combination of students and CSUN staff members from the USU were honored with a first-place award for the new USU logo, including James Matzen, lead designer and senior graphic design major, Kevin Lizarraga, marketing coordinator, Daniel Echeverri, web designer, and Chris Nwani, graphic artist. Matzen was also honored in the logo/brand identity category for students for his work on the “Jade Logo,” for which he was lead designer. Echeverri was also honored in the web pages and digital media student category for his “E. News and Views” online publication. Lizarraga, a staff member, was given first place in the print advertisements category for his “Up All Night” ad campaign.

– Ryan Denham

Trip to Skirball German artist exhibition set for Wednesday

CSUN students will have an opportunity to travel to the Skirball Cultural Center on Wednesday for a guided tour of the exhibit, “Max Liebermann: From Realism to Impressionism” by Barbara Gilbert, exhibition curator and Skirball Senior Curator of Fine Arts, and a lecture on “Max Liebermann: From Imperial Germany to the Third Reich” by Marion Deshmuk, professor of history at George Mason University. Sponsors of the trip to the Skirball Cultural Center include Student Development and International Programs, Phi Beta Delta, Associated Students – in association with Discover, Inquire and Grow in Los Angeles – the History Department and History Club, and the German American Cultural Society. The event is free of charge for students, who can leave on a free bus from the University Student Union at 2 p.m. The event will last from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. The Skirball Cultural Center will present the first-ever major American exhibition on the life and art of German painter Max Liebermann (1847-1935), the premier artist in Berlin and beyond from the mid-1880s until the Nazi Party seized power in 1933. He was also one of the leading forces of the anti-Hitlerian resistance movement, according to Michael Meyer, history professor at CSUN and one of the organizers of the trip. For more information, contact Meyer at 818-677-5449.

– R.D.

Student Affairs makes public annual disclosure information

Terry Piper, vice president for Student Affairs, sent an e-mail to all students through their CSUN accounts last weekend, linking them to official notifications the university must make to students concerning specific campus policies and programs as required by law. The e-mail, sent Saturday, links to a website (www.csun.edu/a’r/disclosures/disclosures.html) that details several items of interest to students, such as the Center on Disabilities, the most recent Campus Security Report, and athletic participation rates and financial support information, all with relevant hotlinks. The disclosure, overall, provides general information related to CSUN, including but not limited to cost of attendance, procedures to withdraw from school, refund policies, academic programs, special services for disabled students, and the availability of employees responsible for dissemination of the information. The disclosure also provides access and informs students of their rights and the university’s policies concerning access to and privacy of student education records under the Family and Educational Rights and Privacy Act, or FERPA. Federal regulations required that a Notice of Required Disclosures be provided to all enrolled students on an annual basis, and to all prospective students.

– R.D.

Corrections and Clarifications

In the Daily Sports Trivia section, published Nov. 28, the question of “How many NFL team nicknames end in ‘s’?” was provided, with an answer on page 12 of “None.” In fact, the question should have read, “How many NFL team nicknames do not end in ‘s’?”