Dorm catches fire, students evacuated

Daniel Williams

A fire broke out on the second floor of University Park Apartment building 12 Wednesday at around 9:30 p.m.

Residents said a rules-and-regulations poster caught fire and they were evacuated almost immediately after. Police officials said they believe an unknown suspect set the fire.

‘My roommate ran in and said the dorm is catching on fire,’ said Ray Yun, a business freshman whose room was just down the hall from the fire. ‘I was in my room, I was about to go to sleep.’

Residents waited outside the building for about an hour and a half before they were let back in at 11:00 p.m.

Police officials refused further comment as of press time.

‘If this was an April Fool’s joke it was in bad taste,’ said Maynard Hong, an undecided freshman who was evacuated. ‘I was supposed to be watching ‘South Park.”