Butter carving turns brutal in ‘Butter’

Butter sculpting turns political in Jim Field Smith’s new comedy “Butter” as one contestant is determined to win by any means.

Laura Pickler, played by Jennifer Garner,  does everything in her power to keep the crown in the family when her husband Bob, played by Ty Burrell, is asked to step down after being butter-carving master of the last 15 years. Her two opponents are the stripper Brook, portrayed by Olivia Wilde,  who slept with Laura’s husband, and a 10-year-old foster child, Destiny, played by Yara Shahidi).

The movie is set in a small town in Iowa where everyone knows everyone. Laura and her husband Bob are viewed as royalty while Destiny is the new kid on the block, changing the whole towns dynamic.

“Butter” stars an award-winning cast including Jennifer Garner, Ty Burrell, Hugh Jackman and Ashley Greene.

The movie discusses political issues such as manipulation, how far a person is willing to go for what she wants and how speeches can change peoples mind, perfect timing with the presidential election. These are all important issues to reflect upon for the upcoming election. Presidential candidates are known for attacking each other so they can shine a better light on themselves, which is the case with Laura in this movie.

When Laura practices for her competition, her husband tells her the key to winning is passion, without it she won’t have a chance at the title of master in butter craving.

Laura is a typical white suburban housewife having spent the last 15 years supporting her husband’s butter carvings. Finally getting the chance to carve for herself, she vows not to have her title taken from her by a 10-year-old.

Destiny has lived in foster care her whole life and believes she has no talents, bouncing between foster homes from a hyper Christian family to a narcotic woman, to an old couple who dies while Destiny is in their care. Finally, she ends up with Julie played by Alicia Silverstone and Ethan, portrayed by Rob Corddry. This is when her life changes forever.

“Butter” is not a hilarious comedy that has you laughing out loud, but it didn’t seem like that was the point. It’s a movie about finding out who you are, what your passion is and where you belong. Addition to its great message, the vividly visual butter carvings, ranging from animals to a life size replica of “The Last Supper,” made this movie a unique viewing experience.