Letter to the editor

In response to “Freedom of speech is very important” by William Kammer published on Monday, Sept. 25.

“Freedom of speech is one of the most important right we have as Americans and as human beings, even if not everyone respects that right.” I agree with this statement, partially. Yes it is an important right(s), but we as “Americans” don’t have that right. There is no such thing as “free speech” because there have always been and there are limits on it. You are telling me that I can just go to a crowded theater and yell “FIRE” and not have to face any consequences (assuming there wasn’t an actual fire).

On the issue of freedom of speech regarding religion, how come this matter only comes up when something offensive to Muslims is said or done. A few months ago when Mel Gibson got drunk and made similiar remarks about the Jews, not a single form of medium nor a news source “defended” him by saying that he was practicing his freedom of speech. He is instantly labeled an anti-Semitic, people are telling me that he has a portrait of Hitler hanging on his living room wall and the media condemns him. But when the Danish newspaper publishes despicable caricatures of Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) and a year later the Pope (who should be a bit more responsible) bashes the very soul of Islam, everyone tells us that we should respect their freedom of speech.

Does this freedom only apply when something is done to incite hatred in Muslims? And does anyone notice how these two events happen to be right before the holy month of Ramadan is about to start? If you truly believe your statement, then you my friend, have a very strange notion of freedom of speech. It may exist but it is not certainly equal for all.

– Ashar Ali, applied math major, senior

In response to “Part-time Professors Struggle with Salaries,” by Gabriela Gonzalez’s.

The (article about the) struggle of professors and lecturers having to work 2-3 jobs in order to “support their family” is a harsh reality, and not just for them. Staff employees on campus have been forced to work 2-3 jobs for quite some time, and have never received a 7.5 percent salary increase. We should be so lucky! I think you should do another article to reflect our side also, at much lower salaries. We also must purchase expensive gas for our vehicle, put food on the table, and never expect to be able to afford the luxury of owning a home – not on a 2 percent salary increase! We love our jobs at CSUN and the students, but the pay stinks!

-Cheryl Charles