Track & Field: CSUN earns eight points in first weekend

CSUN’s track & field team earned a combined 8 points in the heptathlon and the decathlon in first weekend of the Big West Championships, with multiple men and women achieving season bests.

Hosting the 2013 Big West Championships, split into two weekends, the multi-event portion kicked off Friday. The women competed in the heptathlon and the men in the decathlon.

After completing Friday’s events in fourth place, junior Stephanie Hicks finished in fifth place out of 14. Hicks earned four points for her team, while achieving her individual season-best total score of 4,337.

Attaining her season-bests in the long jump (18-5.25 (5.62)) and the javelin (91-0 (27.73)), while winning the 100 meter hurdles with a time of 14.44.

Contributing the other point from the women’s side, junior Jealinda Mills came in eighth place, which included her season-best 800 meter time of 2:26:13. She also got a personal record (PR) for the season in the javelin (76-9 (23.39)), according to gomatadors.com.

In the men’s decathlon, sophomore Derrick Harris took seventh and sophomore Kevin Finley eighth in the decathlon earning a combined three points.

Harris finished Friday’s events in fourth-place and opened Saturday’s events with a season PR of 16.32 in the 110 hurdles. However, after a disappointing performance in the discus and 1,500 meters pushed him to seventh place.

The Big West Tournament will continue on Friday and Saturday at CSUN.