Celebrate the season by checking out these festive spots

The holidays represent a time of joy and togetherness amongst close family and friends. Though it seems like the majority of the world is on board with one another during this time of year, there are still many who don’t celebrate the true meaning of Christmas. In this instance, it can be hard to get into the spirit while considering that there may not be many options for celebration. But just because you don’t celebrate doesn’t mean you cannot enjoy yourself. There are many holiday activities for everyone to partake in with friends and family that won’t break the bank.

Ice Skating

To be able to live in Southern California, and ice skate outside where the temperature isn’t close to freezing has to be one of the coolest options available. In fact, there are two. In the heart of Downtown Los Angeles, located in Pershing Square citizens from all over can glide into the holiday spirit at the outdoor ice rink. The rink is located at 532 South Olive Street in Los Angeles, just a block away from the Los Angeles Central Library. The rink opened Nov. 14, and will be open until Jan. 20, so there’s plenty of time to skate. The community rink is open to all citizens, and is open from 11:30 a.m.- 9:30 p.m., Monday – Thursday and 10 a.m.-11p.m. Friday through Saturday, but times are subject to change. This fun activity is a general admission event which will cost a small fee of $8, and if you don’t have skates, you can rent them from an even smaller fee of $2.

If one feels the downtown option may be too inconvenient, feel free to flock over to Third Street Promenade in Downtown Santa Monica where they also offer an outdoor community ice rink located on the corner of 5th Street and Arizona Blvd. The rink is also open until Jan. 20 with free rink admission. Unless you have skates, there will be a rental fee of $12, and hours of operation are subject to change as well.

Candy Cane Lane

If ice skating isn’t in your comfort zone, feel free to take a drive out to the Woodland Hills Holiday light display, also known as Candy Cane Lane. The Candy Cane Lane lighting is a tradition that has been occurring since 1952 that features an array of light displays, decorations, and fake snow! Candy Cane Lane is a collective effort that is put on yearly by a group of homeowners whom all partake in creating the ultimate light display show for neighbors and visitors. The light display started on Dec. 2 and will continue on through the rest of the year. The best part about it, it’s free! This is a fun free event for friends and family to celebrate, however, there are times to view this light show. Neighbors encourage that visitors drive by no later than 10 p.m. during the week and 11 p.m. on weekends. The eight-block display of lights is located on Lubao Avenue and Oxford Street in Woodland Hills.

Marina Del Rey Boat Parade

For those who reside closer to the beach cities and cannot make the trek to Woodland Hills, the option to view a holiday light show is also available. This year Marina Del Rey will be holding their 51st annual holiday boat parade which takes place Saturday Dec. 14. Prior to the boat parade, a fireworks show will take place at 5:55 p.m. with the boat parade to shortly follow from 6-8 p.m. Admittance is free, however it’s a large capacity event, so be sure to go early and grab an appropriate viewing spot, as well as a decent parking spot. The Marina is located at the Fisherman’s Village at 13755 Fiji Way in Marina Del Rey.

Illuminate Your Holidays at the Getty

The J. Paul Getty Museum is now offering festive Saturday evenings throughout the month. What better way to spend a Saturday night than at one of the best museums with the best view! Holiday lighting will be taking place every Saturday from now up until Jan. 4. Admission is free, however parking is $15. The Getty is open Saturday evenings until 9 p.m. and will offer complimentary cider to its guests to enjoy while taking in the view. The Getty restaurant will also be offering holiday food options that include a prix-fixed Canterbury-themed menu with steak, Yorkshire pudding and a warm apple crumble served with a glass of Ruby Port. For more information on holidays at the Getty, visit www.getty.edu/visit.