CSUN students share their favorite books discovered through a classroom, a friend, or by chance

CSUN students are reading more than just tweets; they are actually reading whole books. Whether they were required reading for a class or recommended by a friend, students on campus have discovered some books they think are amazing. So if you are looking for something good to read, have no fear. We’ve compiled a short list of some of their faves.

book5

“The Chronicle of a Death Foretold” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Jose Corona, a senior English single-subject student in the Teaching Credential Program, discovered this novel in his Theories of Fiction class.

In this Colombian novel, a journalist investigates a perplexing 27-year-old murder and is determined to get to the bottom of the crime. A young woman is wed, but returned to her family hours later after her husband discovered that she lied about her purity. She is forced to tell her family the name of her first lover. Her twin brothers hunt him down and kill him for the perceived dishonor, but the more the journalist uncovers about the murder, the harder it is to understand.

“It was really different, I liked that it was a non-linear narrative,” Corona said. “I would recommend it to anybody that wants to find new ways of writing.”

book1

“Philosophical Dilemmas: A Pro and Con Introduction to the Major Questions” by Phil Washburn

For senior psychology major, Arielle Ventimiglia, “Philosophical Dilemmas” was the book that sparked her interest in a new subject. She was assigned to read it in her introductory philosophy class.

“It really got me into philosophy,” Ventimiglia said. “I like how it was structured, it was modern and easy to understand.”

In the book, Washburn gives readers a comprehensive introduction to philosophy. The text features six brief essays, each pair answering one of the standard philosophical questions such as: “Does God exist?” or “Is morality relative?” each with an affirmative or negative response. Using the arguments of traditional philosophers, he presents the idea in contemporary language making it more understandable.

book2

“The Next Big Thing” by Johanna Edwards

Heather Raksin, a freshman studying communications, is an avid reader and is always looking for something new to read. She stumbled upon “The Next Big Thing” in her sister’s room and she says it easily became one of her favorites.

Who doesn’t love a book with a plus-sized heroine? This heroine, Kat Larson, decided that she would have nothing to lose (except maybe a few pounds) by becoming a contestant on the reality show “From Fat to Fabulous.” She will finally be able to meet her British online romance (who believes she’s a size 4) face-to-face, She will finally be graceful and confident and…skinny. However, on Kat’s journey to becoming the next big thing, she realizes that she already is.

“I like that it’s not all about love, but also real life issues like body image,” Raksin said.

book4

“Rise of the Creative Class: And How It’s Transforming Work, Leisure, Community and Everyday Life” by Richard Florida

David Oulrey, a junior transfer student majoring in urban studies and planning, was recommended this book by one of his professors.

Today, people are beginning to work and live the way traditional “creative” types always have and now our values, relationships, and choices are changing. In this book, Florida identifies a growing number of people that create for a living –the creative class. Florida defines this new economic class and examines how it is essential to the future of American cities.

“It gives a fresh perspective on issues that apply to our generation, like job opportunities and deciding the best place to live in order to thrive in your career,” Oulrey said.

book3

“The Feminine Mistake” by Leslie Bennetts

Shelby Williams, a senior English major, read this book for an introductory gender and women’s studies class.

This book illustrates the heated debate about whether mothers should be bringing home the bacon or staying at home to cook it. The veteran Vanity Fair journalist, Leslie Bennetts, argues for working mothers from the economic perspective. Bennetts makes the financial case for women taking an active role in the workplace, despite motherhood. She does this by showing how millions of families need two incomes for financial security, medical expenses, retirement, and at the very least, gives women a sense of personal independence.

“It puts women’s issues in a context that any age group can understand,” Williams said. “I would recommend it to men and women.”