Women’s Volleyball: Getting to Know Casey Hinger

Senior Casey Hinger. Photo credit: Trevor Stamp

Favorites

Food: Anything that my mom cooks.

Music: Don’t judge me but I’m a Miley Cyrus fan.

Cereal: I’m not a huge cereal fan but I do like Frosted Mini-Wheats.

Movie: Moulin Rouge

Athlete: Kerri Walsh

Sports Team: I like to root for the underdog. So usually whomever people are rooting for,

I root against.

Life

Hardest part about being a student-athlete: Time-management

Biggest accomplishment(s): Being able to play all the way around and being the Big West Scholar of the Year.

Hobbies: I don’t know if shopping is a hobby but I like to go to the 3rd and shop.

Best part of my game: My versatility. I’m a middle but I can do high-sets, low-sets, back row and things like that.

Improvements: Definitely more passing and more back row. I really want to make sure I’m good at it.

Player I’ve modeled my game after: Probably Kerri Walsh. We watched a video on her mental game. Not so much playing-wise because she is amazing, but mentally I definitely trying to model her

Pre-game rituals: I listen to really sad songs and everyone thinks I’m a freak for it. Our team will turn-up in the locker room and have dance parties, twerk competitions and silly things. I will put on my headphones and listen to really sad songs. It gets me focused and calmed down.

Goals

Individual Goal: Definitely passing. We have to have a passing standard, so I have to make sure that, on average, I’m passing.

Team Goal: Win the tournament, win the conference and go further than we did last year.

Extra

Person that I’d like to meet: Probably Socrates. Someone who is really philosophical would be cool.

Guilty Pleasure: I love Spongebob. I have a Spongebob backpack, Spongebob rain boots, Spongebob everything.

Why I started playing volleyball: My mom actually made me when I was a freshman in high school because I was tall. I didn’t want to do it originally because I was like, “Mom, they wear underwear in public! I don’t want to!” But she made me and I just fell in love with it.

How I stay in shape during the off-season: I come (to CSUN) a lot and I’ll go to the athlete weight-room, do the weight program that they give us over the summer. I play tons of volleyball. I do beach volleyball. Anything I can to get touches on the ball.

Other sports played: Soccer, track, swimming and gymnastics

Superhero I’d want apart of my volleyball team: Maybe the Flash because he could run down those balls that we wish we could get or he could dive really fast.

Plans after CSUN: Hopefully, I will go to Europe to play professional volleyball, and then I want to come back to the states to get my PhD in Developmental Psychopathology.