Senioritis is real

unnamed

Senioritis, According to urbandictionary.com:

“a crippling disease that strikes high school seniors. Symptoms include: laziness, an over-excessive wearing of track pants, old athletic shirts, sweatpants, athletic shorts, and sweatshirts. Also features a lack of studying, repeated absences, and a generally dismissive attitude. The only known cure is a phenomenon known as Graduation.”

Sounds familiar, right? I’m sure we have all dealt with this at one point as high school students and has come back to us our senior year in college.

Many of us during our freshman year would try and put our outfits together—look nice and presentable for school. Now, most of us could care less about how we look.

I’m curious to know if dressing “bummy” would change my attitude for school.

I challenge us all to try this out: Come to school in workout clothes or sweatpants one day, and the next day come to school in whatever your idea of nice clothing is. Pay attention to your confidence level. Is it the same? Does it affect our attitude about school?

Besides the way you look, it is important to remember you are still in school.

Here’s a little reminder I tell myself and others when motivation is lacking: studying isn’t as bad as failing. We might not want to study or do our homework sometimes, but it is better than failing.

It’s your choice.

Sometimes we need a wake up call. Such as missing an assignment or not doing as well as we wanted to on an exam.

No one is ever excited about failing and it is usually very upsetting.

Good news—if you actually care about failing something, chances are you don’t have senioritis.

It is hard to stay focused sometimes, especially when you are in your senior year, or your super senior year, or even your super, super senior year.

If this something you can relate to, then this is a little reminder:

If you are still here getting your work done you are on the right track. I personally catch myself feeling upset or sorry for myself for not graduating in four years, but then I think about everything that has gone into these past few years and I do not regret a single thing.

Everything I have done, from changing my major and taking less units, to focusing on getting the best possible grades in my classes has had its benefits.

If we think school is difficult right now, the real world out there is even more difficult. What we are learning right now is what is helping to shape us into well-rounded and educated individuals. Nonetheless, if what you are studying isn’t what you will be doing in the future, any higher level of education will only benefit you.

The way that I see it—sometimes you have to deal with doing what you don’t want to do for a period of time in order to get to where you want to be in the future.

Most university graduates I know wish they were still in school, “living the easy life.”

We get winter, spring and summer breaks. We will never again have breaks like these after we graduate.

We are actually pretty lucky if you think about it.

If we think we can be lazy after we graduate, chances are we will miss many big opportunities.

Like Andrew Carnegie said, “do your duty and a little more and the future will take care of itself.”