Donation spurs renovation for women’s volleyball locker room

NCAA+increases+theh+eligibility+all+winter+sports%2C+allowing+the+CSUN+womens+volleyball+team+to+have+more+players+eligible+this+season.+
Sam Painter
NCAA increases theh eligibility all winter sports, allowing the CSUN women’s volleyball team to have more players eligible this season.

The CSUN Department of Intercollegiate Athletics announced on August 21 that a donation will fund the renovation of the women’s volleyball locker room.

As a sign of appreciation, the locker room will be renamed “DeYoung Family Women’s Volleyball Locker Room” in honor of the donors, Dennis DeYoung and his family.

“We are incredibly grateful to Dennis and Carrie DeYoung for their continuous support of the CSUN Athletics, and especially for their generous gift to fund updates to our women’s volleyball locker room,” CSUN Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Dr. Brandon Martin said in a statement. “Our women’s volleyball and beach volleyball programs and growing exponentially and the DeYoung Family Women’s Volleyball Locker Room will help improve our student-athlete experience in a big way.”

The facility enchainments will include updates to the locker room space, team lounge and study space as well as the video room and the shower room. The area will also receive new seating seating, new floor covering and graphic enhancements.

Dennis and his wife Carrie are both graduates of CSUN, with Carrie graduating in 1986 from the College of Business and Economics, and Dennis with a degree in business administration in 1987.

“My family and I are thrilled to support CSUN Athletics and the CSUN Women’s Volleyball Team,” said DeYoung in a statement. “We have incredible confidence in Coach Stork and his team and are excited to be able to contribute to the endless potential of CSUN Women’s Volleyball. With the addition of Beach Volleyball, the program is on the rise and we can’t wait for the upcoming season to get underway.”

The CSUN Women’s Volleyball season begins on August 28 when the Matadors travel to the Utah classic to take on Lipscomb. The first home game will be against UC Irvine on Friday, September 25.