Accessible hiking trails nearby

Limekiln trail is one of the many hikes you can take that is relatively close to the CSUN campus, just located in Granada Hills. Photo credit: Michelle Moran

https://vanessapbarajas.cartodb.com/api/v2/viz/a311a9e4-7957-11e5-bd9d-0e787de82d45/viz.json

San Fernando Valley residents have quick access to the mountains if they want to get away from the atmosphere of the city. Hiking is a great way to get in shape if the gym isn’t for you, so here are a few hiking trails close to CSUN that are easily accessible to students.

1) Porter Ranch – Aliso Canyon, Palisades, Sesnon and Limekiln

These trails are close to one another and open to hikers of all skill levels. Dogs are more than welcome to join in on these trails but beware of coyotes. According to All Trails, the elevation goes up to 500 feet and completing all of the trails together is an eight mile hike roundtrip.

“The trail could be sandy and rocky in some places, it has trees and bushes that makes me feel like i’m not in the city. As you reach the top, you’ll see the city and it’s a perfect place to see the sunrise as you’re doing your morning workout,” said Rachel Nauman, 21, Child and Adolescent Development major.

The trails are open year round and offer a few different paths depending on how far you want to hike.

Location: 11533 Tampa Ave.

2) O’Melveny Park – Bee Canyon Trail

This trail is in Granada Hills and is about two miles roundtrip. This location is excellent if you are on a time crunch but still want to get your workout in. It is a short, moderate hike surrounded by nature and dogs are welcome. When you get to the top, you get a good view of the valley on a nice day.

Location: 17300 Sesnon Blvd.

3) Cave of Munits and Castle Peak

This hike goes vertically up the mountain so it can be a challenge to some but when you get to the top you can explore a cave. Although the beginning of the hike is not clearly marked, just keep going vertical and you will find the trail. The not so certain path gives you a sense of adventure and a good workout at the same time. You’ll work your leg muscles out the most, given the steepness of the mountain. According to All Trails, it is about a two-hour hike, about two miles long and all dogs are welcome.

Location: 24501 W Vanowen St.

4) Devil Canyon

Although it might sound terrifying, this trail is surrounded with eerie scenery but overall an interesting path to encounter. It’s about a 4.7 mile hike roundtrip, for all levels of experienced and non-experienced hikers. According to Local Hikes, the rock formations that you see during this trail were created 80 million years ago in a marine environment, which makes it all the more enchanting. Take your dog for a stroll on this hike if you don’t want to do it alone.

Location: 11446 Poema Pl.

Hiking is encouraged during the morning and throughout the day, but as the sun goes down light becomes scarce so it’s less advised to roam the wilderness alone in the dark.