Reggie Theus on recruiting

Reggie Theus has recruited a myriad of players from high schools, community colleges and “power five” conference colleges in his three seasons at CSUN. Photo credit: Juan Pardo

Recruiting is an essential part of being a college basketball coach, and the bottom line is that our success is due to my solid, hard-working staff.

My veteran assistant coaches outwork our peers. Coach Pompey has incredible connections on the East Coast and in the Midwest, Coach Levy has great SoCal connections and Coach Theiler was born and bred in grassroots basketball. I was born and raised here in LA, and my jersey was retired at Inglewood High.

In addition to my staff’s contacts and expertise, I have national visibility that comes from four generations of high-level basketball – from my college days, my time in the NBA and my coaching days. Because of my pedigree, I can get in the conversation with anybody.

Prospective student-athletes want to be taught the game by someone that can teach it from a professional standpoint and by someone who has connections in the NBA.

CSUN’s style of play also attracts prospective student-athletes. We play a fun, up-tempo style of basketball and our players enjoy that. And they love playing on The Blacktop, one of the coolest floors in Division I sports.

But most importantly, I love to teach. I enjoy being a mentor to young men and have had success both on and off the court. My acting days on the show “Hang Time” and the years I spent as a sports commentator for ESPN and TNT helped shape me into the coach I am, and I love sharing that knowledge with my team.

At CSUN, we create a successful atmosphere across the board. I have the reputation of teaching student-athletes the right way, and that’s what I sell.

Recruiting on a high level isn’t just what my staff and I have to offer. This program has a very strong future not only because of the student-athletes we’ve brought here, but because of the commitment that this campus, and especially the CSUN students, have made to support us.

The success of CSUN Basketball, of CSUN Athletics and of CSUN as a whole are the result of a full-blown effort by everyone. It’s about pride, and we need students, faculty and staff to help let everybody know what’s going on on our campus right now.

By far, my toughest recruitment since I’ve been at CSUN was of Reggie Theus Jr. If I can convince him – and his mother – that the Matadors were the best fit, then I can convince anyone. So come support us all on The Blacktop this winter! See you on November 5 in The Matadome!

Reggie Theus is the head coach of the CSUN men’s basketball team